EVO 8 V44 plugin - no knock or speed input?

paulr33

Grant is correct, possibly at 10Hz your logging may not have caught it. Also, the default Limit Control Range (only visible when Advanced Mode is on) for the MAP Limit is 10 kPa, this means that the Map limit would start becoming active 10 kPa before the numbers in your MAP Limit table.

• 2 months later...

Do you have the knockblock configured as per figure 1 on page 6 of the manual? I'm not concerned if you don't have the LED, headphones, knock 2 or analog out connected.

Once you have it wired up set the gain position switch as per the instructions in section 3.1 (page 12). You can measure the analog output with a voltmeter, you want to see 1 to 2 volts. Use one of the positions without 'noise cancellation' as this only applies to the analog output of the knockblock and your ECU is going to be using the signal received on its digital input channel.

Next use the calculation technique as described in section 3.2.1 (pages 14-15) to select your filter switch position. The information I have says that from the EVO 6 onwards a dual harmonic sensors was used and the frequency filter should be set to 13 kHz. Have a go with the calculation and see if your results agree,

Make sure your digital input and aux output channel are allocated correctly.

Set your knock settings to be something like this to start with:

cyl.PNG

Knock.PNG

Your Knock Target table will probably be set to zero in all the cells. This means that if any noise is read on a cylinder pair the ECU will retard the ignition timing. If you look at the Knock tab of the runtime values window you should see this happening. If you then raise the value in the knock target table to be above the current engine noise level you will see the ECU re-introduce the timing.

The 'Knk Ign Trim CylX' tables are there for information purposes, you look here to see at which engine load and engine speed point the ECU has removed timing. Normally you would not edit these tables yourself.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your detailed help and I did this on the weekend and it looks like ive got the knock box setup properly. I set the gain to 0 then revved to 3500rpm and kept increasing gain until i saw around 1.5vs on the analogue output wire, from memory the gain is set to 2. then i set the filter frequency to C which is 13khz and that all appeared OK. I then set the knock system active and all the attributes / trim settings as per the two above screen shots. these saved and commited Ok and no issues.

With the engine running on the vipec "run time values" and on the "DI input tab" I can see "D1 - Digital KNOCK feedback Active" flashing in green but on the far right panel "KNOCK" under "Knock Sys Status" it says ERR - DI KNK ....

I can get a screen shot of the error. Is there a way to debug the input from the knock box, I.e can i add a manual voltage watch on DI1 to see if its actually sending some sort of voltage? Below is current tune and logs if this helps

http://www.paulr33.com/evo/knock.zip

Edited by paulr33

Thanks and I see the error in what I have done. I don't do any wiring works on my ECU as its too fiddle so it won't be wired in until September when it goes in for next service.

is the link box expecting to see ground signal on that wire? Can I just hardwire it to ground (the orange "window in" wire so that the knock box will still work? Obviously during the entire RPM range 

The ECUs knock control is able to determine which cylinder the knock occurred on by using the windowing function, and then retard the correct cylinders timing. To be honest I'm unsure what would happen if the window stayed at GND all the time. I suspect that the Knockblock would not output the signal to the ECUs digital input.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I had a better look through your base-map and noticed you don't have an Aux Output setup as 'Knock Window' this is required by the knock block to send data back to the ECUs Digital Input.

Attached is the G4 KnockBlock manual. You want to set yours up like diagram 1 on page 6.

KnockBlock G4 Manual.pdf

Hi,

with this requirement can I connect the missing output from the knockbox to one of the pins on the expansion connector for Evo 9 plugin v44 as I have just ordered the expansion connector and it would be great if I could use one of the pins on that as it saves messing with my loom/exisiting writing 

Hi Paul,

I suspect on your ECU you will not have a suitable pin in the expansion connector. If by chance you have a later version of the bottom board of the plug-in ECU (with two 8 pin expansion connectors), then you will have something suitable available.

The other option is to sacrifice something on the main header. Perhaps Aux 4 - FP Speed - Pin 55. Are you still running the original fuel pump? A lot of people have upgraded and taken out the fuel pump speed control.

thanks, ill have a look when the purchased Vipec V44 arrives... Looking at my tune Aux 5 to 8 were setup as "ISC Stepper" but I cant find in the documentation what ISC Stepper is used for? I asked on the evo forums and havent gotten a reply yet.

if it helps, the new V44 is;

Firmware 4.10.2

Bootcode Version 1.4

Serial 5224 (CAN enabled)

ECU Type 17

Hardware Rev 12

Edited by paulr33

The ISC stepper is what adjust the idle air that bypasses the throttle. If you were able to replace the stepper motor with a 2 wire idle solenoid you would have three additional aux output channels available.

I suspect not as with it being a V44 based unit the DIs will not exist on the main board.

The ultimate telltale will be to power the unit up and check what is available in the tuning software.

The Di's would be the only ones useful if they were available.

thanks, it looks like i can re-use aux 3 as thats for boost solenoid and im using an external boost controller

for anyone interested, evo 9 has 4 idle speed control steppers, hence why there is 4 x ISC's on the vipec, they are all different (aux 5 to aux 8 inclusive)

• 2 weeks later...

hi team, i have the PCB Expansion connector wired in and all is well but I dont see the extra inputs displayed in VTS? does a sensor have to be connected or some "trick' to make the extra AN Volts / AN Temp's to appear in VTS?

Hi Paul,

No tricks. PCLink will display all possible connections, even if they are not actually available on the bottom board. This is because the PCLink software looks at the ECU type (V44 top-board in your case) and then changes what is displayed in PCLink/VTS. On a V44 top-board fitted to that bottom board only AnV6, Sensor Ground, and +5V are going to be available on the expansion connector.