Need Configuration settings Link G1 for Subaru EJ20 turbo

Craig Tanson

I have a Link G1 wired up to a subaru 1993'ish JDM EJ20G turbo engine in a 1967 VW bug.  I would like to set the configuration on the ecu so I can get the car started. I plan to have the car tuned professionally but need to get it started so I can get it up on the trailer, move it around, etc.  I don't know where to begin with the different settings in PCLink to get it running.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a file I can upload to the G1 that will get the car running and have the correct settings?  I have two coil packs, so I think that means it's wasted spark and also I'm using the factory subaru timing wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Craig,

Sounds like a cool project, I bet it will be pretty quick once all set-up. How did you do your intercooler setup?

Link G1 ECU's have a triiger sub-board that is specific to the type of engine you want to run the ECU with. Has your G1 ECU come off a subaru? If not you will need to have the sub-board changed.

If your ECU does have the subaru sub-board you should just be able to set your ignition setup to wasted spark, do a TPS calibration and that should get you running.

Here is a link to our G1 documentation http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/g1-engine-management-documentation 

Regards,

Scott

Scott, thank you for the link.  I will look at this.  I purchased the ecu used from a person who was using it on a subaru powered dune buggy.  At that point, it was programmable by the handheld programmer. I contacted a Link tuning shop here in California for assistance connecting the ecu to my laptop.  They sold me a comlink box to connect to my ecu.  Then when it would not connect, I sent in my ecu, they in turn sent it to Link USA to be converted/upgraded to connect with a laptop to the ecu.  So I am assuming that it has the trigger sub-board that is specifically for the subaru motor.

To see more of what I'm doing, here's the link to my build thread, http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134735&p=1052817#p1052817

The intercooler is placed above the engine in line with the air flow coming in to the beetle's engine compartment. I had to fabricate a pipe that is basically a V pipe to connect the intercooler to the throttle body. I'm still finishing up connections such as the blow off valve and the turbo to intercooler pipe.

Hi Craig,

I'll have to have a read over your project thread. I have a 63 beetle on a 69 floorpan, and am building a 1776 turbo engine for it slowly.

I have put together a map that should hopefully run your setup, it is attached to this post.

Give it a try and let us know,

Cheers,

Scott.

Scott,

Thank you so much for the map. I will load it and when I'm ready to run the motor, I will definitely let you know.  I understand the slow part of the process, I have been working on subaru conversion for almost five years as I have time and money.  You should definitely check out www.thesamba.com and http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/ lot of great info on these sites. 

Thanks again

Craig

• 4 years later...

I have the car running and am getting very very close to be able to drive it. I have ordered a new boost controller from Grimmspeed and have a few more small bits needed to get the engine drive able.    I have a question regarding adding a Tachometer. The current Tachometer in the VW is made by VDO and works by having the wire connected to the VW coil.  Remember this car is a 1967 VW that originally had the old school original coil, condenser, distributor ignition system.  What do I need in order to use this Tachometer with the Link G1 ECU? I haven't connected the VDO Tach to the ECU yet because I didn't want to risk damaging anything with a crossed wire.

Thanks

VDO stuff will often work on both a low level (ecu signal) or a high level signal (coil negative)

If you were to connect to the ECU and not a coil negative there is no risk of damage to the tacho only risk is it might not trigger and give no reading.

In which case the tacho would need to be modified for a low level signal, or another option is to drive a coil out of a relay and use the negative side to drive the tach.

VDO stuff will often work on both a low level (ecu signal) or a high level signal (coil negative)

If you were to connect to the ECU and not a coil negative there is no risk of damage to the tacho only risk is it might not trigger and give no reading.

In which case the tacho would need to be modified for a low level signal, or another option is to drive a coil out of a relay and use the negative side to drive the tach.

Okay, thank you for that information, I will connect the wiring and give it a try.  When you mention using a relay, is there a specific type of relay or just any generic relay, like the kind with 30, 85, 86, 87 labeled on the side? Thank you again.