Track-display logging with G-force sensor

Coz

Hello

It would be really nice if you upgraded the logging features to include a track view with the ability to render the track with the help of a g-force sensor or gps data import.
Also with a simple Video render feature like the one AEMData have i think this would make Link both more of a "professional" tool (evaluate driving/chassis) and "in-line" with todays demand to use actioncams everywhere. These features with the "Vehicle plan" next to it would look really nice.

Also when configuring analog inputs you are not able to input negative values even if you choose "Output units" to be "NONE", Only Celcius can go sub-zero ;) and then you can change to NONE and keep the negative values.
To be able to mount an aftermarket G-sensor it would look nice to have G as a Output units in the cal tables.
And also a filter function if you really want to add support for aftermarket sensors and make the data look smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coz,

the Thunder internal G axis sensor is only a new addition, this has just been released and there will be truck loads of development and improvements to be added as time goes by.

I will make sure that the engineers are aware of the negative value issue, what version of FW are you using.

Regards

Dave.

• 5 months later...

My opinion to this topic is as follow: 

There are alot GPS logging Dashes available. I don't want say never, but I suppose it's unlikely that Link will step into the motorsport dash market. Because they can get allready a part of it, without a own Dash. 

If Link implements GPS Track logging with Lap timing on there ECU's, there is no reason for people to buy a expensive GPS logging Dash. The logging functionality in PC-Link is already great. With track logging, all logging could be made over the ECU and people just need a CAN Display instead and can save the logging option on the Dash. 

Consequently customers are more willing to spent more into the ECU or in other words put the money they saved for the GPS update on Dash into the ECU. 

So please Link, make it happen! :-)

Edited by mapper

Hi mapper, 

Thanks for adding your thoughts. Adding GPS to the ECUs may be possible for future ECUs, but the problem is that this would push up the price of the ECUs for customers who would not use this feature. Another possible solution would be a GPS CAN module, this way those who want it could buy it and install it. This would still rely on us to build functionality for track mapping into PCLink though.

Scott.

Okay 

For sure GPS Antenna has to be external anyway. Idon't excatly now, what hardware upgrates are needed an what the cost are.

But an CAN GPS looks like a good solution. Maybe it would make sense to integrate G-force too into this unit. The Logging is already very strong in PC-link, so it shouldn't need many additions beside the track map to allow detailed feedback for driver and chassi feedback. For example suspension travel is already there.

GPS, g-sens and a few slots for different Maps and video overlay function would make Link the ultimate Racing ECU. In combination with a PDM also for the highest classes  in  motorsport! 

I was actually hoping that Links would develop the GPS option as its has been discussed previously.

getting the g-sensor paired with the CAN GPS and video render is what i would hope to do.

Please Link!  make this happen !

AEM just got one out in the $300 dollars price range... is calle Vehicle Dynamics module PN: 30-2203

3 Axis Accelerometer 

3 Axis Gyroscope 

5Hz GPS/Glonaass

Can 2.0 Output

The good thing about this is: AEM published its AEMnet CAN protocol, The VDM may work with 3rd party programmable engine management system and data loggers....  

AEM.jpg

Edited by AXA

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh  looks like a nice sensor box, the AIM one. Only 5hz GPS are quite low. There are Units with 50hz available today. To be fair not at this price point.

However, it would be great if LINK can make it work! 

Hi Mapper,

i have done a lot of race boats etc with MoTeC sports dashes using ViPEC ECU'S when you purchase the dash the 2 options for the GPS are a 10 and a 15 Hz and believe me we get mega data with them and no time issues.

But point taken.

Regards

Dave.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Tech Support - it looks like the AEM module now does 10Hz GPS logging out of the box.

If you guys could start working on at least being able to capture the data in the ECU for starters that would be really useful. PCLink etc mods could come later, or maybe we could export into another package for display/analysis.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Currently we support a race car that used to run a complete Motec M1 setup with dash, PDM, ECU etc etc.

He's now got a Fury installed instead of the M130. Engine is running much better... But... Logging is now a massive pain!

Essentially we log all of the engine data and as much as we can via CAN, but we have run out of channels and can't overlay engine data onto a circuit map, so the result is we use MoTec's i2 for viewing data against track maps. The problem with this is we can't get all of the data into the dash from the Fury! So we have to use 2 different log analysis programs...

If Link could implement GPS data I think that would be absolutely awesome. In this case, we could probably move the car over to the Link (AIM) Dash as well and not use i2 at all.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, Grant Baker said:

Currently we support a race car that used to run a complete Motec M1 setup with dash, PDM, ECU etc etc.

He's now got a Fury installed instead of the M130. Engine is running much better... But... Logging is now a massive pain!

Essentially we log all of the engine data and as much as we can via CAN, but we have run out of channels and can't overlay engine data onto a circuit map, so the result is we use MoTec's i2 for viewing data against track maps. The problem with this is we can't get all of the data into the dash from the Fury! So we have to use 2 different log analysis programs...

If Link could implement GPS data I think that would be absolutely awesome. In this case, we could probably move the car over to the Link (AIM) Dash as well and not use i2 at all.

If you have a C-dash you should be aible to program a custome can stream from Furry to Dash with all data you need.