ViPEC v44 Trigger Calibration

johan sv

Hi!

I've a problem when it comes to calibrating my crank trigger. I have a 6 cyl which I'm running wasted spark. There are 6 pins in my flywheel and the sensor is in a fixed position. I've connected a LED to the 5V signal to the ignition. The problem is that I only get a "spark" when I have the Trigger Mode set up to 1 tooth per TDC. But in this setting I can only adjust timing by moving the sensor, which I can't. I don't get a spark when running Trigger Mode - Multi Tooth. Why is this?

Thanks!

Johan

Thanks for reply Adam. Problem is that I don't get any signal to the coils in Multitooth. Any thoughts on this? Reluctor or Hall/Optical does not matter. I have even tried to lower the threshold for the signal to minimum. I also have a trigger on the cam so this is set up as Trigger 2.

Edited:

I just read your last post better. If you have 6 teeth on the crank (Trig 1) and 1 tooth on the cam (Trig 2). You should be able to set the Trig 2 sync to 'Cam pulse 1x'.

Scott

Edited by Scott
I wasn't paying attention

Hi Scott. Thank you. So in this set up the crank trigger should automatically calibrate/synk itself? This is the setting I have used. Trig 2 sync to ´cam pulse 1x´. But the ignition was about 120 degrees of when I checked with my timing light. Also, I still wonder why I don't get a spark as soon as I change Trigger Mode to Multitooth. All other settings are the same but the ignitionsignal disappers.

Johan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. So I solved the problem. Turned out to be the cam sensor. Now I need to calibrate. I was hoping that it would synk auotomatically but it is 180 degrees off. I seems to be easy but I don't understand what the third box is for (the one in yellow). Do I need to bother with this one? Anybody?

Skärmklipp.JPG

Edited by johan sv

If you have the ignition timing locked to 10degrees like the image above, then you must adjust the offset number until your timing light shows spark is occurring at 10 deg. If you think it is about 180deg out then try adding or subtracting 180 from the offset number initially. Once you have the offset set correctly so that the engine is idling at 10deg, try revving the engine while watching the mark with a timing light to check that timing does not drift. If it does move with rpm then you adjust the delay number until it is stationary. Most of the time about 50 or 75 microseconds is about right

Edited by Adamw

If you have the ignition timing locked to 10degrees like the image above, then you must adjust the offset number until your timing light shows spark is occurring at 10 deg. If you think it is about 180deg out then try adding or subtracting 180 from the offset number initially. Once you have the offset set correctly so that the engine is idling at 10deg, try revving the engine while watching the mark with a timing light to check that timing does not drift. If it does move with rpm then you adjust the delay number until it is stationary. Most of the time about 50 or 75 microseconds is about right

Thank you! The ignition turned out to be 150 deg off, which surprised me. I thought that the software would synk against the cam sensor, which shoult indicate TDC cyl 1. I was expexting that the ignition would synk itself. But I'm not sure the pin/indicator in the cam is set to TDC cyl 1. Maybe it ws set to an offset co accommodate the old ignition system (early 1990s alfa v6)?