EFI University or HPA?

Grant Baker

Hi Guys,

Here's one for you...

If you wanted to train up a new employee and get them the basics of engine tuning without spending hours with them first...Would you sign them up to HP Academy or EFI University?

Both seem good and personally I like the HPA seminars etc.

Any opinions?

I think historically EFI University have been focussed on hands-on learning courses and have only recently started adding online material.  HPA already have a good depth of material available and are adding more and revising existing content all the time.  I've no experience of EFI but have been a member of HPA for some time and can also recommend them.

There are also hands-on training in the UK.  The Academy of Motorsport by Torque Developments are highly regarded, there is also Engine Management Academy by Horsham Developments maybe others too.

Hi All,

Ben here from EFI University.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the choices out there.  Ben and Andre at HPA do a really great job and we have nothing negative to say, in fact a lot of our customers tell us they've used both and learned things from both.

We try really hard to focus on giving our clients a real world "experience" by letting them actually put their hands on the dyno and doing the work.  It's obviously a different approach to the learning process than an online experience, and we realize that due to cost and time not everyone can take advantage of this platform so we do offer some online training as well.  As we move forward we may offer more of the online stuff based on requests from customers, but it's unlikely we'll ever transition to online only as it just doesn't stack up in real value to the customer the way a true hands-on experience does.

I always like to use flight training as an example...you can only play on Microsoft Flight simulator for so long and eventually you HAVE to get into the airplane.  No matter what, the experience will be different in real life so while we absolutely agree there is value in online video based training, our focus will always remain on training in a real world environment.

I hope that was a helpful introduction and explanation of our core philosophy and if anyone had any questions don't hesitate to call or drop an email!

Thanks,

Ben Strader,

President, EFI University, inc

Hi Grant,

In case my user name didn't give it away, I'm Andre from HPA :)

We went down the path of online training because it allows us to help more people all around the world, and we firmly believe that it offers significant advantages to in-person training. It's a cost effective option since you don't need to travel, and you also have the advantage of being able to re-watch our courses as many times as you like. This means you can brush up on concepts that you're not clear on, or revisit concepts that you've perhaps forgotten since initially taking the course.

The key to our courses though is our support community which is where we bridge the gap between online and in-person training - We believe strongly in supporting our members and this is where our private online forum and our regular weekly webinars help back up the course material. The forum is the perfect place to get fast and reliable answers to your questions, while our weekly webinars are the fastest way to expand your tuning knowledge on a range of engines and platforms, as well as staying up to date with the latest technologies.

I couldn't agree more with Ben's comment about the requirement at some point to transition into hands-on experience and that's exactly why we developed our 'remote practice dyno' where you can get real world hands-on experience tuning a real engine on a real engine dyno without leaving your house. The online practice dyno is currently operating a Link G4+ Fury ECU which may be helpful to you given you're on this forum. You can find out more about the online practice dyno here:

We understand that buying online education can be tricky and we want our members to be able to purchase with confidence which is why we also offer a 60 day, 100% money back guarantee - If for any reason you feel our courses aren't right for you, we will refund the full purchase price.

If you're interested in getting a taste of what HPA is all about then I'd suggest you start by signing up for our free six-part series of lessons. This will give you some insight into how we work and what we can offer: https://www.hpacademy.com/free-tuning-lessons

In the perfect world I believe the best solution is to get as much training as possible - Both in person and online. I found that when I was operating my own performance workshop however, that unless the in-person training was local, the cost of training staff in this way was usually prohibitive.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have :)