ECU for Audi FSI Engines

Magpie

I'm planning on using an Audi engine and trans as a donor for a scratch-build and have a couple of questions.

The BAR (4.2 V8 FSI from A6/Q7/Touareg, and similar to the BNS RS4 engine) has FSI with the following features:

• Variable camshaft adjustment for intake and exhaust camshafts
  • Two-stage magnesium variable inlet manifold
  • Drive-by-wire throttle control
  • Plus a whole stack of solenoid actuated recirc valves which may or may not end up being used.

The CAKA (3.0TFSI from A6/S4)

• Variable camshaft adjustment for intake
  • Roots blower bypass control (charge pressure regulation, module J808)
  • Intake manifold flap actuation x2 (within the supercharger intake)

Does anyone have recommendations for a standaone ECU for each engine? I won't be doing the install, rather would just like to know it's somewhat possible before I made an engine purchase. See attached for details.

Service Training - Audi 4.2-litre V8 FSI.pdf

Service Training - Audi 3.0 V6 TFSI.pdf

Unfortunately none of our current ecus are capable of 6 or 8 cylinder Direct injection.

I suspect also if your intended transmissions are automatic then those might even be more of a challenge than controlling the engine...

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated. The plan was to use a FWD manual from a diesel A4/A6, so hoping that could be easily (electronically) integrated.

I'm going to try the factory ECU route at this stage until something becomes available for more reasonable money than what's currently on offer.

• 1 year later...

Might be a daft question but...

I have plans on using the supercharger off the 3.0 TFSI mentioned above on a Subaru EZ30 controlled with the Link Xtreme.

The Audi engine has three map/temperature sensors - one upstream of the throttle body and two post intercooler (one per bank of cylinders). Would I just use the MAP value from one of the post intercooler sensors or is there a way of using both - either independently/averaged or to add redundancy?

Cheers

5 hours ago, geastes said:

Might be a daft question but...

I have plans on using the supercharger off the 3.0 TFSI mentioned above on a Subaru EZ30 controlled with the Link Xtreme.

The Audi engine has three map/temperature sensors - one upstream of the throttle body and two post intercooler (one per bank of cylinders). Would I just use the MAP value from one of the post intercooler sensors or is there a way of using both - either independently/averaged or to add redundancy?

Cheers

Woudnt you have a common plenum under the blower?

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Woudnt you have a common plenum under the blower?

Looking at the PDF in the first post, it looks like from the plenum it splits and goes through each intercooler and then there is a sensor for each side. I would assume the pressure should be the same across both banks of cylinders - so could probably get away with using just the one?

Our ECU's dont have the ability to use two MAP sensors for bank to bank fuel control.  You can have both connected, using one for fuel calculation and the other is just logged/displayed for comparison.  If you use one of our higher end ecu's (Xtreme up), you could use dual bank lambda control to take care of small air flow differences bank to bank.

Like you, my feeling is that the big common plenum on the top of the blower should mean the pressure is close to equal on both sides. 

On 4/7/2017 at 7:25 AM, Adamw said:

Unfortunately none of our current ecus are capable of 6 or 8 cylinder Direct injection.

I suspect also if your intended transmissions are automatic then those might even be more of a challenge than controlling the engine...

even the stock ecu is not up to the task to controlle the 8 injectors, the factory use 2 ecu to controlle the engine one to controlle everything and one just to control one bank of injectors and ignition if I remember correctly. We have one of those engine at the shop and we are trying to make it run with the stock ecu with just a reflash to retard ignition and then use a linkecu to control 8 port injectors to get the lambda that we want with the new twin turbo setup.

Is not easy to make the engine run with the stock ecu without all the others ecu of the factory car, but can be done.

• 2 years later...