Link G3 pcl corruption - unable to store to ECU

g3n3ral.l33

Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with a problem I'm having with my Link G3 ECU.  

Up until yesterday we had a perfectly turn key engine.  Last night we decided to make an RPM limit change.  When we stored the change the engine would no longer fire (it would crank for ages but not start).  

So we decided to restore the default pcl file back to the ECU.  We had downloaded this before making any changes.  However when we try this the PCLink software is throwing a warning and changing a value which in turn prevents the engine from firing (again it would crank for ages but not start).  

We tried a friends pcl for a 4AGE black top and although the engine started it was not in a healthy state - this was to be expected but at least it proved that the PCLink and ECU were still working together.

So I'm hoping you can help determine and hopefully correct the corruption or compatibility issue we have.   At the very least I hope you have a standard 4AGE 20v base map pcl file that you can send me for the G3 so I can at least get the engine running again.

Here are all the details I have that I hope will help you diagnose the problem or suggest a course of action.

Engine: Standard Toyota 4AGE 20v (silver top).    
Attached:
  1. The default pcl file that was downloaded from the ECU
  2. An image showing the PC Link Version we are running
  3. An image showing the ECU Version we are running
  4. An image showing the Value Out Of Bounds dialogue that pops up when we first open the default pcl in PCLink
  5. An image showing the options available for selection in the Value Out Of Bounds dialogue (we have tried both - neither work)
  6. An image showing the PC Link Warning dialog that appears when we try and store the default pcl to the ECU

Please let me know if there are any other details you need to diagnose this issue.

ValueOutOfBounds.PNG

ValueOutOfBoundsOptions.png

ECUVersion.PNG

mr2-default.pcl

PCLinkVersion.PNG

PCLinkWarning.PNG

Can you post your original map. Have you ever made any adjustments successfully with this laptop/pclink before?  Your firmware is quite old but it can be a bit painful to update the G3's so I'd like to look at the map first before we try a FW update.

Thanks for the reply.  We don't have the original tune as we inherited the car but the one attached to the thread (mr2-default) was the tune that was downloaded from the ECU before we tried to apply changes.  It's located between image 3 and 4. Hope that helps.

I applied the file with no errors but still no joy with the engine.  I did manage to get it to fire if I used a bit of throttle which previously I did not have to do.  When doing this the engine would run for a few seconds and then die.  Once started if I used the throttle the engine would stall.   So it tells me that this map is not exactly what we had and that the default file may not have been serialised correctly from the ECU.  Occasionally the engine would fire without the throttle (probably because it had plenty of fuel from previous failed attempts) but again it would stall after a few seconds.   For what its worth I've attached the data log for one of these attempts.  Other than getting an expensive re-tune what else can you recommend at this point?  Were there any other fix options that could be applied to the original file?

Cheers.

mr2-datalog-0TPS.txt

I have had a good look over your map now most of it looks ok.  There is one item however that does look odd so I suspect is probably your issue -  the TP axis on the fuel and ign tables appears like it may have been messed up.

Normally when using TP as the load axis you need fine increments at small openings then the increments can get bigger towards WOT.  Something like 0%, 2%, 4%, 7%, 10, 20, 30... for instance is common. 

Yours goes 0%, then jumps to 30%, 35%... all the way up to 240%!

Unfortunately if this has been messed up we dont really know exactly how these increments were originally set up.  So in the attached map I have taken my best guess based on the number of rows in the table and the general shape of the fuel map.  Load this in and give it a try.

mr2 try this.pcl

Really appreciate the time you are spending on this.  The last file was more encouraging but still not right.  Still require throttle to get the engine to start but after a struggle it starts and now I can rev it but it will not idle.  I did bleed more oxygen through the engine and managed to get it to idle at 1500rpm but again this was not required before when it was working properly.  Not sure if this might give you something else to try.

I did notice quite a few differences in your fixed setup to the default setup so somewhere in there I'm guessing there is the magic setting(s) have been missed or changed. For instance the warm-up enrichment table uses different x axis setting even thought the table numbers are the same.  In fact the warm-up enrichment and accel enrichment seem to have slightly different config settings from default to fixed.  Additionally I notice * in the tables of the fixed files but not in the default file. 

My other race car runs the same engine but has a Link G1 ECU - would sending that file help at all to determine settings?  Does data logging help with diagnosis?  Do you have a base map for a 4AGE 20v silvertop we could try?  As a last resort would using an older G3 PCLink app version be helpful in case this is a version/firmware compatibility issue?  Clutching at straws as you can see.

Appreciate any further fixes or suggestions you have.

Cheers,
Lee.

I did notice quite a few differences in your fixed setup to the default setup so somewhere in there I'm guessing there is the magic setting(s) have been missed or changed. For instance the warm-up enrichment table uses different x axis setting even thought the table numbers are the same.  In fact the warm-up enrichment and accel enrichment seem to have slightly different config settings from default to fixed.  Additionally I notice * in the tables of the fixed files but not in the default file.

I dont think there is much wrong with the warm up and accel tables, they should work fine as they are even if something has changed a little they look realistic enough.

My other race car runs the same engine but has a Link G1 ECU - would sending that file help at all to determine settings?  Does data logging help with diagnosis?  Do you have a base map for a 4AGE 20v silvertop we could try? 

No, no and no im sorry to report.

As a last resort would using an older G3 PCLink app version be helpful in case this is a version/firmware compatibility issue?  Clutching at straws as you can see.

It looks to me like the damage was done before you got to save the map.  What caused that I dont know but there is now no way to know what values it had in it before it was damaged.

Appreciate any further fixes or suggestions you have.

I still think it is most likely the axis on the fuel table that we havent quite got back to how it was.  The original tuner probably picked different break points than I did.  I will take another look at it when I get a minute and post up another variation to try. 

Do you guys recommend a G4 firmware upgrade? Seems like it is easier to get base maps for a 4AGE 20v on a G4 rather than a G3.  Just wondering.  I tried running the car yesterday with that last tune you gave me and even though I can get it to idle (albeit with high RPM) it will not rev out under load so I think you are right with the axis not being right.  Cheers, Lee.

Do you guys recommend a G4 firmware upgrade? Seems like it is easier to get base maps for a 4AGE 20v on a G4 rather than a G3.  Just wondering.

A base map is designed to get an engine running only and it must be tuned from there, so it is unlikely any base map you find will work any better than what you already have.

Attached is another variation you can try. 

mr2 another try.pcl

Thanks Adam.  

Uploaded the tune but it seems to be a step backwards as I could not get the engine to start at all.  It came close but not quite.  I really appreciate you trying to sort this out but I think the best avenue may be to get it properly tuned from scratch.  

Cheers, Lee.

Hi guys, just a note to close off this topic.  

Chris from Prestige Tuning & Motorsport ( https://www.facebook.com/prestigetuningnz/ ) took our car in and very quickly turned it around.  The G3 firmware appeared to have become less than stable so it was upgraded to the G4 firmware.  A new tune has been created and she is purring like a 4AGE 20v once again.   Thanks for your responsiveness and your help.  

Cheers,
Lee