MINI Cooper R53 Knock Control Setup

Alan

Hello,

I have a G4 Plug-In (G4 Topboard Extreme, Firmware 4.10.2) for my 2003 MINI Cooper S, and I am setting up Knock Control.

The diagram in PCLink Help labels Pin 8 as Knock 1, and it is the pin where the MINI Knock Sensor terminates.  But when setting up Knock Control the only option is ON - DI Knk Interface.  Is selecting ON - DI Knk Interface all I have to do? 

TIA

Alan

Hi Alan

On the G4 to get knock control you need an external Knock block to interface with the ECU. It did not support internal knock.

Unfortunately the Knock block (G4) is no longer available.

Hi Alan

It is important to remember the knock is a protection feature in an ideal situation I would hope you will never see knock and as such the feature would not be put to use.

Back in the day this was a feature held back from the Link units but was enabled in the (premium) Vi-pec units.

For a street car I would agree with you, but this ECU is for a race motor that will spend over 50% of its life at WOT.

Knock Control is the final line of defense against race conditions not anticipated in the various trims, or variations in fuel.