Bmw Cam Sensor

Nettlez

So after about a year unfortunately my BMW m50b28nv engine has blown up so I'm looking at just dropping a m50b25tu engine it it this time and getting mapped to suit.

So my question is I believe the tu engine has a Hall effect cam Sensor rather than the vr type Sensor my non vanos engine had, so can I still use this older style vr Sensor with the newer engine? Or is this bad practice and should I re wire to suit the newer Hall effect Sensor?

Also it would be handy if anyone knew the base timing offset for the tu engine? 

Thanks 

Im pretty sure that is the same engine that is in our E36 base map so the offset in there will be in the ball park.

From the ECU point of view it is happy with either VR or hall.  The main thing to confirm will be if the shape of the teeth matches the sensor.  In most cases a target wheel designed for a VR sensor will have relatively pointy teeth, while a Hall wheel will generally have a wider tooth.  VR sensors often wont work well on a wide tooth. 

Unfortunately I dont know that engine wheel enough to confirm either way.