BarendB

Hi All,

I'm just planning my ECU install on my MX5 (99 NB). My model comes with VICS (Variable intake control system), from my understanding I need to switch on a solenoid at a given RPM to activate the VICS.

How do I go about setting that up on my Link ECU?

Cheers,
Barend

I dont know what conditions these solenoids are usually activated under but below is an example if it is just a single RPM on/off point.  You can use any spare Aux output, ignition or injector drive.  Set its function to "GP output", then choose the conditions that you want it active under.  In the example below it would turn on when RPM goes above 4000RPM and turn off when RPM drops below 4000.  You can add more conditions - for instance if you only want it on between 2000 & 5000RPM... 

e3I2ib5.png

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring this topic back up again as the process seems very simple, however on my G4+. I can't seem to get it to work. 

If I use a power probe with the car running I can get the solenoid and vac elements to work correctly however, if I wire this up to Aux 3 or Aux 5. The live wire earth's out until I disconnect the earth wire off the solenoid where the feed from the aux wire goes back to live. Either way nothing happens. Any ideas? 

I've bench tested one solenoid I have which does work like this but this just keeps the Vic's on. 

Whereas the other solenoid I have requires an earth and then a live feed to active and does what is required. Is there a way to get this one to work at a set rpm? 

14 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Why doe the solenoid require a switched positive?  Does it only have a single wire and the other side of the coil is grounded through the body?  

What ecu do you have?

It doesn't need to have a switch positive but it does need an earth. It has two wires, when wired up as you suggested in the above diagram nothing happens. Whereas if I give it either a permanent earth and switched live or permanent live and switched earth it operates. I hope that makes sense.

I am running a g4+ storm. 

Then it should work connected as above.  It is fairly simple - the ecu just grounds the aux wire when your GP output conditions are met.  You can set the aux output to "Test (on)" to manually force it on/off to confirm wiring.

What is the resistance of the solenoid?

The switch off timer is an extra time delay that the output stays on for after the activation conditions are no longer true.  This is used to create a similar effect like hysteresis so that you dont get a situation where the output starts rapidly cycling on/off when you are sitting close to the activation point.  0.1-0.2s would be fine for an intake solenoid.