BMW E36 M3 Turbo SMG from Bulgaria

Guest |646|

Guest |646|

Hi all,

At last the V88 is ordered and we're waiting for the delivery. You'll understand my eagerness to install and tune this masterpiece of engine management equipment :). Especially when already few months passed by tuning and testing and every time the engine management was the limiting factor..

Some info about the car:

1998 BMW E36 M3 Euro spec with S50B32 engine (321hp stock) and Sequenial M Gearbox. S50B32 Euro version has dual continously variable VANOS

JE 8.5:1 forged pistons

Pauter forged H-beam conrods

Cometic headgasket

ARP everywhere

SPA Turbo collector

Turbonetics GTK-650 turbocharger bottom mount

Bosch 044 fuel pump

750cc Siemens high impedance (12ohm)

tial wastegate 44mm

AEM wideband O2

AEM EGT gauge

Apexi AVC-R boost controller

Phormula KS-3 knock detection gauge

D2 racing big brake kit 8pot

D2 coilovers

powerflex bushes everywhere

Power goal is 600 crank hp and fully streetable car with A/C and full options.

At the very beginning of the project AEM F/IC8 piggyback wass bought for engine management by recommendation of a local tunner. I am installing and tuning all electronics myself. Couple of months passed by with trials to get the most of the engine with the AEM piggyback and the result is unsatisfying. AEM lacks some cruical features for the project and besides has tons of bugs, support from the vendor is 0 and generally does not work correctly with the stock Siemens ECU. Enough for this.

I've made significant research on standalone ECU offerings and i am pretty sure that did not go wrong with the ViPEC. :)

Can't wait to get it in my hands and start tuning. I've played around a lot with the VTS, read the manual and documents carefully and am very happy with them - good thing is that I understand everything, just not sure which is the best option for some things :). Included help is the best i've seen so far.

In the meantime until I got the ECU shipped am preparing myself for the installation and tuning. These questions came up so far:

1. Vanos setup. Is there a direct match in the preset configuration options for S50B32 dual vanos? Should i use "BMW Dual Vanos S52" or "BMW Dual Vanos S54" cam control template? Also in the engine specific information help there is info only for S14, S52 and S54 motors. Which of these apply for me?

About the wiring..

http://www.linkecu.com/support/document ... awings/G09

do this apply 100% for the ViPEC V88 as well?

2. Ignition. Currently with the OEM BMW coils i have blown spark problems at high boost - 1.4+ bar. I've chosen these VAG coils as they are pretty popular upgrade for forced induction:

http://www.pure-pf.com/webshop/ppf_webs ... cts_id=771

I've seen that guys here use them successfuly with ViPEC, so no worries here. Do somebody have ready to use dwell control information for this configuration? I don't feel confident enough to do it on my own.

3. Does somebody have base map for ignition and vanos timing for BMW S50B32? I am not such an experienced tuner and definately prefer starting off from safe base ignition and cam table - for example those used in the stock ECU. This way i can tune step by step towards the ultimate power. :)

I've found some dumped ECU bin's made by chiptuners on the internet, but it seems i cannot extract any usable information out of them..

4. We've already installed Racelogic Traction control unit which is impressive piece of equipment. Does its job really well by canceling some of the injector squirts (sequentially - per individual cylinder) thus decreasing engine power when wheelslip is detected. So the result is sporadic misfires. It is wired between ECU and injectors just like piggyback. Will the V88 be happy with this? I hope so..

I'll continue update the thread as the questions arise..

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Borislav Lazarov

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Yes you can use that wiring. For engines with single VANOS only Aux 1 and 2 are used.

2. Contact Pure Performance and get the dwell times. If they cannot supply this, then you will have to find the dwell times with a current clamp, or use some other coil.

3. I can supply a base map with everything setup. It will not be from a tuned engine.

4. I do not know if the race logic supports the Vipec data stream.

Ray.

Guest |646|

Hi Ray,

2. OK I will search for the dwell times.

3. This would be very nice! This is exactly what I need. Basemap with vanos and ignition just as in stock engine?

4. The Racelogic should work theoritically with any ECU. It just stops some of the injectors at a certain time. My question is if Vi-PEC will be OK with this. For example some stock ECU's have misfire detection algorythm and log errors when detect it.

Thanks

Guest |646|

OK. Coils Ordered already. Fellow ViPEC member gave me the dwell times so no problems expected here.

I read again and again the "Fuel Equation" chapter in the help and i am still confused ..

Let's get my car for an example. It is turbocharged with individual throttle bodies. At idle it runs very nice and stable ~40-45 kpa MAP.

Which would be the best tuning approach in this case?

1) Set Load=MAP and Y-axis of the fuel table to TPS ? This will not give me baro correction, just MAP correction.

What does "MAP correction" mean? If I understand correct with Y axis=TPS the fuel table will be tuned for a N/A car (max 100kpa) and then an internal mathematical calculation will be made to compensate for the forced induction. For example we are at 5000rpm and 80% TPS and the value in the fuel table is 60, then the ECU sees that the engine MAP is 200kpa which theoritically needs twice more fuel than at 100kpa so the fuel value is doubled to 120. Am I in the right direction?

2) Set Load=BAP and Y-axis of the fuel table to TPS. This will give baro correction, but does not work for forced induction engines, right??

3) Set Load=BAP/MAP X-over with Y axis of main fuel table = TPS. This is combination supports forced induction and will give me barometric correction with the help of 4D fuel table.

4) Set Load=MAP and Y-axis of the fuel table=MGP. What I lose with this? Maybe a bit of throttle response? When the car has enough vacuum on idle, what could be other reasons to NOT go this way?

And if my understanding of MAP correction in 1) is right, does this mean that i dont need rows with MGP above ~100 kpa? Anything above that will be compensated by the MAP correction or not??

Guest |646|

I've found in the help:

In special cases 3D mapping may not be adequately flexible to cope with all operating parameters. Multi-throttle turbo charged engines typically show an example of this. With the throttle wide-open at a MAP value of 200kPa and an engine speed of 5000rpm the engine will have considerably different fueling requirements than with the throttle half open and the same MAP and engine speed. In this case the 4D Fuel Table table may be used. This second table may be spanned using throttle position on the load axis. In this particular scenario it may be desirable to span the main fuel table load axis using throttle position and the 4D table using MAP, although either method is capable of producing the desired result.

I've already noticed this fact while tuning with the AEM piggyback, but had nothing to do. Good thing that i've ordered ViPEC :D

The person who wrote the manual did not understand the TPS/Manifold method of tuning. That is why that statement was made. He has been flogged for this mistake... ;) It has been removed from the help in the new software coming.

This is from previous posts on this subject.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You do not have to make it all that complicated as the Vipec ECU have a very powerful method of mapping this type of engine. You have the fuel table axis set to TPS and the AFR correction turned on. You then map the engine on TPS and the ECU will lookup the target AFR table to know how to change injector time based on manifold pressure changes.

You do not need a 02 sensor or wideband for this to work. It is all done with maths.

You set the fuel table axis to TPS, and then tune based on TPS, and the ECU looks up the AFR table to know how to adjust injector time as the load (manifold pressure) changes. No 4D or 5D tables are needed.

Guest |646|

Hi Ray,

OK now that point is perfectly clear for me.

I've got my vipec now and filled serial number and model. So can you please provide me with the mentioned base map?

Thanks in advance!

Guest |646|

Hi Ray. Thanks for the E-Mail.

My car is the later E36 M3 model with S50B32 euro engine with dual infinitely variable vanos. The supplied map is for S50B30 which is the earlier variant which has single vanos on the inlet cam only. It seems that this map will not work for me.

Also does somebody have the stock VVT inlet and exhaust target maps for dual vanos BMW? I just want to start off from something safe and meaningful.

If your engine has Dual Vanos, then change the VVT setting from BMW Single VANOS to BMW Dual VANOS S52. The make the changes as showen in the manual to add the extra digital inputs and Aux outputs.

If you want me to do this for you email me back the map, as I do not have it at home with me.

As far as the offset values these can be found the first time you try the start the engine, using the software cam test feature.

Ray.

Guest |646|

OK. I will do it myself.

As for the ignition table included in this base map - is it something absolutely generic or it's especially from stock BMW S50B30 engine?

Also what should I select in trigger setup? BMW S50 or BMW S52?

Unfortunately the engine has some mechanical problems so before installing ViPEC these need to be fixed.

In the meantime i've found the stock ignition and Vanos tables and now i am converting them to a safe base map for the Vi-PEC.

I have one general more or less theoritical variable valve timing question.

Is the optimal valve timing dependant on boost? For example should the optimal cam advance and overlap be different at 0.5 , 1.0 and 1.5 bar of boost?

My idea is whether to span the Vanos tables based on TPS or on MGP?

I understand that the correct answer for this question should be found on the dyno, but i miss the theory behind this. Also probably if there's somebody here who has experience on variable valve timing tuning on boosted engine should have know from his experience..

OK. Perfect.

So if I understood you correct until now:

- Triggers -> Trigger Setup -> Trigger Mode = "BMW S52"

- VVT Control -> VVT Setup -> Cam Control Mode = "BMW Dual Vanos S52"

Then the only thing that eventually would need tweaking for the Vanos to work correctly is Triggers -> Trig2: V VTi -> Offset (included in your base file is 116 ATDC). And this can be done with the help of Cam Angle Test feature? This setting does not affect ignition, right?

And the other thing that will need tweaking is Ignition Setup -> Ignition Main -> Ignition Delay with the help of a timing light so I get consistent ignition advance over the entire RPM range?

BTW this is very helpful document:

http://www.mrm-racing.se/forum/showthread.php?t=69

But i can't translate it to ViPEC terms.

Especially that:

"For your S50B32 it is slightly different: intake 70 - 130, exhaust 76 - 114 degree."

That's my engine..

When you do the cam angle test, and get the results, select the lowest value as the offset for each cam. When doing the test make sure you select the same number or more teeth then what there is on the cams.

To set the ignition delay lock the timing using the calibrate function. Then rev the engine up and down from about 3000 to 6000 rpm quickly. Adjust the delay so the timing does not move. Common values are 50 to 250.

Ray.

• 4 months later...

Need a little advise on wiring VAG 115 coils. They have 4 pins:

Pin 1 = switched power to the primary side of the coil - connect to the yellow power input

wires on the firewall metal connector rack via the scrounged VW three pin O2 sensor

connectors from item No. 8 in the parts shopping list.

Pin 2 = Ground for built-in Power Output Stage - connect to pin number 2 (brown white

wire) of the 4 pin connector feeding power output stage (POS) N122 (the one for

cylinders 1,2 and 3). Use one of the regenderized Jetta III taillight connectors (shopping

list item No. 7) to make these connections to the OE ECU to OE POS four pin

connectors, as per the pin-out below.

Pin 3 = The 5 V DC signal from the ECU to control the POS switch. Use the

regenderized Jetta III taillight connectors (shopping list item No. 7) to make these

connections to the OE ECU to OE POS four pin connectors, as per the pin-out below.

Pin 4 = Secondary Coil Ground - connect to corner bolt of cam cover where the OE coil

pack ground was located. Use a ring-type terminal under the bolt.

(ignore the vehicle specific info) source is VW guide ..

They have internal igniters.

Should i use this approach?

http://www.vi-pec.com/techdata/GM-LS1_ignition.pdf

pin1 - +12 switched

pin2 - Vipec pin A24

pin3 - Ign Output 1-6

pin4 - ground from engine