Requesting: S2000 Factory Coolant Temp Functionality

MarioS

I was hoping that someone in the tech department will see this and might be able to work it into a future update.

The S2000 factory ECT gauge on the cluster is driven by the factory ECU. The analog signal from the sensor is fed into the stock ECU where it is converted into a PWM signal and outputted to the gauge cluster. There is currently no way to do this with my Fury.

I would greatly appreciate any effort to resolve this.

Mario

I have used a PWM aux out several times to control  factory gauges (only the analog input ones, you will need to create a packet stream for the can bus gauges ).  The damped ones work better as the needle doesn't pulse.  Choose a frequency and then slowly increase the duty cycle until you get full scale deflection. Then setup you axis to map from whichever parameter you are displaying to the PWM duty cycle required for that reading on the gauge.  If the  gauge requires less than 12 volts for full scale deflection , you can either use a voltage reg. Or a current limiting resistor.

HTH,

Richard. 

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

I think AP1 is frequency based and AP2 is CAN bus.  What model do you have? and do you have any info on the signal that is required?

Mine is AP1, I have a small amount of vague info from the guy who makes the converter box which was used to make the gauge work with older AEM Series one EMS but i don’t know how much help it will be.  

I asked why the instructions to his converter box ask what ECU you are using “stock or AEM series 1”

his reply: 

“The ECT sensor bias resistor in the AEM is different than the resistor in the stock ECU, which causes the sensor voltage/temperature curve to change.  For AEM, the set point for each gauge segment is lower than for stock, which is accounted for in the programming.  The module itself is the same for all of our ECT products, the only difference is the initial programming for a specific application.”

I then looked how AEM series 2 controls the gauge and it is done via a low side driver so I asked him the following:

“One more question and you may chose not to answer. I know aemv2 and up as well as   haltech already have the ability to output the proper signal directly to the cluster. AEM is using a low side driver at the frequency of 1-4hz with a duty cycle or 92-99%

I tried to do the same thing with the link ecu but it has a software limitation to where i can only drop the frequency down to 10hz.

Is 1-4hz the only way to drive the signal?”

His response was:

“It's the spacing of the pulses (Hz) that the gauge uses to decide how many segments to illuminate, and it's actually a little wider range than 1-4Hz, though the gauge isn't usually configured to distinguish those temperatures.”

24 minutes ago, Richard Hill said:

I have used a PWM aux out several times to control  factory gauges (only the analog input ones, you will need to create a packet stream for the can bus gauges ).  The damped ones work better as the needle doesn't pulse.  Choose a frequency and then slowly increase the duty cycle until you get full scale deflection. Then setup you axis to map from whichever parameter you are displaying to the PWM duty cycle required for that reading on the gauge.  If the  gauge requires less than 12 volts for full scale deflection , you can either use a voltage reg. Or a current limiting resistor.

HTH,

Richard. 

Hey richard, this works perfectly fine to drive the RPM portion of the stock cluster but it does not work with the ECT.

Yeah, my recollection was the AP1 used something like a 30ms high pulse @ 1-3Hz which would tie in with the AEM example.  To support this natively it would need to be added to the firmware which isnt going to happen in the near future due to other priorities in engineering at present.  

We could make it work using just a couple of virtual auxes and timers in say something like 3 stages - low - medium - hot for instance if that would be good enough for you.  The only other workaround I can come up with would be a frequency divider chip to divide a GP PWM down by say 1/12 or similar.

1 hour ago, Mario Schneiderbanger said:

Hey richard, this works perfectly fine to drive the RPM portion of the stock cluster but it does not work with the ECT.

Ah, I didn't know it was that low a frequency.  Have you any more info on the pulse width (or is it soley frequency dependant) vs ECT relationship? 

40 minutes ago, Richard Hill said:

Ah, I didn't know it was that low a frequency.  Have you any more info on the pulse width (or is it soley frequency dependant) vs ECT relationship? 

Unfortunately no, maybe you can get some idea on what happens on the manuals section of the modifry converter.

https://www.modifry.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_59ap2.htm&product_id=233

Can you do a quick test to see if we can confirm what it needs.

Connect an aux output to your temp gauge. My example below uses aux 4.  Set up the timer and aux like my example.  This example will make the aux cycle high for 0.03seconds and low for 1.0sec.  Try adjusting the "sw off timer" to various times between say 0.5sec and 1.5sec and see if you can control the gauge doing this.  If you can then note down what "swofftime" correlates to how many segments displayed.

1gkdhw.png

Great news 

Once i figured out theres a 11 second delay before a bar will show up on the cluster each time a new bar gets added I came up with this.

1.25s is 1 bar 
1.00s is 2 bars
0.75s is 3 bars
0.50s is 4 bars
0.25s is 5 bars
0.18s is 6 bars
0.10s is 7 bars

Are we able to create a Table with ECT on one axis and SwOffTimer on the other?

DC5C9C08-6EE7-4183-9D98-001D451C58CB.png

Update: I was able to Use 3 Virtual outputs with ECT based conditions to vary the cluster output. It doesnt make use of all the bars since im out of conditions on the Physical Aux but its enough to know when the engine is warmed up. and overheating.

May be able to add another Virtual aux to expand 2 more variables.1137580109_S2kTempGauge.thumb.png.9e9bc24cb49390cf29bbd810296abb9e.png