Help Diagnose a Problem on My Evo running on Vipec VTS.

Giann

Yes, you have some serious trigger errors going on, it looks like almost everytime you go above about 3800RPM.  You might need someone with an oscilloscope to get us a capture of the cam and crank signals to get to the bottom of it.  What model evo is it?  Make sure it has resistor spark plugs fitted.

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes, you have some serious trigger errors going on, it looks like almost everytime you go above about 3800RPM.  You might need someone with an oscilloscope to get us a capture of the cam and crank signals to get to the bottom of it.  What model evo is it?  Make sure it has resistor spark plugs fitted.

Hi Adam thanks for taking your time for looking at my log.

Its and evo 7 with an 2.3L stroker engine, is the problem cause mainly from the cam and crank sensor or can it also be from the stock coil pak maybe failing?

Trigger error means the ECU has received a signal from the cam or crank sensor that it didnt expect, but that doesnt always mean it is related to the cam or crank sensor - it could for instance be the cam belt has slipped so the cam tooth is occuring ion the wrong place or it could be something like electrical interference that is inducing random voltage spikes into the trigger signal.  An oscilloscope capture allows you to check for many of these with just one picture.

The reason I ask about resistor spark plugs is the Evo ignition system can generate a crazy amount of noise without them and will often cause trigger error.