Help wiring up multiple sensors (Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost Solenoid, Wideband etc)

DomsE36Garage

Hey guys, i'm finally up to the electronic part of my turbo build E36 325i vanos. I have a Link G4+ PnP M50B25TU ecu and also have the expansion kit. 

I basically have a number of sensors etc I need to wire up and I have very very limited electrical know how. I need to wire up the following sensors, and any advise I can be given on what to hook them into would be great as I know there are limited spots on the expansion harness as well.

* Wideband - AEM Wideband Gauge Kit 30-4110 (Connects into a gauge, but has a single signal cable that can be hooked into the ECU)
* Oil pressure sensor - Generic brand with 3 wires (Grnd, 5v & signal)
* Water temp sensor - AEM Water Temp Sensor - 30-2012 (Grnd, 5v)
* Boost solenoid - AEM 30-2400  (claims it needs switched 12v and the 2nd wire claims to have to go to the  AEM EMS’s PW2 output...whatever that is)
* Air temp sensor - AEM Air Temp Sensor - 30-2010 (May not actually need this as I believe I have an air temp sensor in the intake manifold as stock....please confirm).

So as you can see i'm in a bit of a quandary. I believe I know how to wire up the oil pressure sensor based on another post I read, however if I use the Gnd, +5v and Volt 2 outputs on the expansion kit, I don't have a hell of a lot of outputs left to connect everything else to.

Any thoughts or assistance would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Wideband - AEM Wideband Gauge Kit 30-4110 (Connects into a gauge, but has a single signal cable that can be hooked into the ECU)

Connect the AEM white wire to AN Volt 4 or 5 on the expansion loom.  For best results make sure the black ground wire is grounded on the engine block, not chassis as the AEM manual states.

11 minutes ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Oil pressure sensor - Generic brand with 3 wires (Grnd, 5v & signal)

5V & Sensor ground are on the exp loom, connect the signal to whichever ANvolt you didnt connect the wideband to.

12 minutes ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Water temp sensor - AEM Water Temp Sensor - 30-2012 (Grnd, 5v)

You dont need another water temp sensor, there is already a factory one connected.

12 minutes ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Boost solenoid - AEM 30-2400  (claims it needs switched 12v and the 2nd wire claims to have to go to the  AEM EMS’s PW2 output...whatever that is)

Connect 1 wire to an ignition switched 12V source (idle valve is often convenient).  Connect the other wire to pin 11 on the ecu (this is aux 7).

16 minutes ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Air temp sensor - AEM Air Temp Sensor - 30-2010 (May not actually need this as I believe I have an air temp sensor in the intake manifold as stock....please confirm).

Most models already have a factory airtemp sensor in the manifold.

12 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Couple of questions.

A1 "You dont need another water temp sensor, there is already a factory one connected."

A2 "Connect 1 wire to an ignition switched 12V source (idle valve is often convenient).  Connect the other wire to pin 11 on the ecu (this is aux 7)."

Q1 - Cool, any idea which that is on the E36? Possibly the one that hooks into the side of the radiator, but I now have a Mishimoto radiator that I don't think allows for that sensor to be connected, i'll have to check that!

Q2  - So does this mean I need to patch into Pin 7 on the plug that connects into the ECU?

Sorry, i'm dumb. The water temp sensors are in the side of the head....all good there.

Looking more into it, i'm assuming you're talking about pin 11 on the plug that connects to the ecu yeah? Not hacking into the connectors on the ecu itself right? Sorry about the stupid questions.

17 hours ago, DomsE36Garage said:

Looking more into it, i'm assuming you're talking about pin 11 on the plug that connects to the ecu yeah? Not hacking into the connectors on the ecu itself right? Sorry about the stupid questions.

Correct, if there is already a wire in the pin 11 position just snip it off a couple of inches away from the ECU and join your boost valve wire to it.  (this pin was originally only used for automatic transmission so is not needed).  If there is no wire there you will have to find a terminal for it to add your own wire.  I suspect it will be a Bosch JPT terminal.

vVY1vHT.png

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

Correct, if there is already a wire in the pin 11 position just snip it off a couple of inches away from the ECU and join your boost valve wire to it.  (this pin was originally only used for automatic transmission so is not needed).  If there is no wire there you will have to find a terminal for it to add your own wire.  I suspect it will be a Bosch JPT terminal.

vVY1vHT.png

Perfect, thanks Adam I'll give it a crack and will let you know if there are any dramas at 'fire up' time.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, Adamw said:

Connect the AEM white wire to AN Volt 4 or 5 on the expansion loom.  For best results make sure the black ground wire is grounded on the engine block, not chassis as the AEM manual states.