Link G4 plus for an MX5 will it work on a V6??

gavinnz

Hiya guys and girls, I have a Link G4 plus for a NA MX5 but am now converting the car to run a 1990 Alfa Romeo 3.0 12 valve injected V6 engine.

Will the Link I have support 6 cylinders?? Any other issues I will need to address???

Thanks

Gavin

New Zealand

There are only 4 injector drives and 4 ign drives available on the MX5 ECU header, it will run a 6cyl fine but injectors will have to be paired up for semi sequential or group fire and coils paired up for wasted spark.  Otherwise it should do it fine

Thanks for the reply. I asked my technical guy to translate it for me and he seemed to under stand. Me not so much! :) 

Would I still be better off to sell the one I have a buy another made for the 6?

Or would that be a waste of money and time?

Advantages and disadvantages would be good to know.

Thanks!

Gavin

For a road car i would be quite happy to stick with what you have.  Sequential Vs Group fire/wasted spark: seq may be able to achieve a slightly smoother idle, maybe slightly better fuel economy (<5%).  Sequential/direct spark also means you can adjust fuel or ignition on individual cylinders, but you rarely see that done anyhow.

20 minutes ago, Adamw said:

For a road car i would be quite happy to stick with what you have.  Sequential Vs Group fire/wasted spark: seq may be able to achieve a slightly smoother idle, maybe slightly better fuel economy (<5%).  Sequential/direct spark also means you can adjust fuel or ignition on individual cylinders, but you rarely see that done anyhow.

Great, thanks so much, I appreciate your answers. :)