Autronic to Vipec conversion checklist

Hyper

Hi guys,

In the past I've ran Vipecs on my rally cars, but now I am considering swapping SM4 plugin for the V7-9 Vipec Plugin that I have in my street car. 

I love the SM4 and what it can do, but in terms of fine tuning for a street car it becomes a real nightmare, primarily the issues I have always had is a charge temp table that affects fueling, minimal crank syncs required to start the car, stalling and starting (the ECU has a mind of its own when it comes to starting the car based on how it was shut down), and closed loop corrections affecting the whole table, rather than only the cells that need on-fly adjustments. 

Now, I have never fine tuned Vipecs before (since rally cars don't need all that), but I hope it will be easier :) 

I have started building an excel file, listing the wiring modifications that need to be done (since I have some custom sensors added through existing harness), which is simple.

I have also started working on the base cal file to address all my custom bits and pieces, and while I understand where I will have the aux sensor assigned, there is something I wanted to discuss:

1. is it possible to calibrate pressure sensors to show Bars instead of PSI/Kpa? Assuming the base fuel/ign tables don't have variables in the load calculations, this would address those tables as well as aux pressure sensors. Also, what is V9 MAP sensor rated at? I heard somewhere it can read up to 2 bars

2. aux sensor calibration - I can't change the predefined axis calibration for some reason, and I need to calibrate aux temp and pressure sensors (one is based on a linearization table, another is just linear with span an offset) - how do I approach this properly?

3. I have 3 different outputs that I need to transfer to Vipec, all of them are simple on/off lights. One is a ground controlled that activates one of the warning lights in my cluster, another is a LED shift light controlled by PWM signal (GC8 don't have the fancy shift light in the cluster like the later STIs), and the third one is a LED that represents knock light. How do I assign all of them and to which ECU pins without the extension module? 

4. knock control. Can the V7-9 plugin operate the knock control system? I can see it can be enabled, but does it interact with the stock knock sensor, or does it require something else? If not, I do have the Vipec external knock box that I used as an external tool when tuning, theoretically I can integrate it in the car as well (although relying on stock knock sensor would be sufficient for me if the board can do that)

5. closed loop control. can you confirm the changes made during the ongoing closed loop control only affects the cells modified, and not the whole table? 

6. I am using TechEdge wideband controller, by a chance is there any predefined calibration that can be used for it?

I think this is it for now, more will probably follow as I go through the process 

14 hours ago, Hyper said:

1. is it possible to calibrate pressure sensors to show Bars instead of PSI/Kpa? Assuming the base fuel/ign tables don't have variables in the load calculations, this would address those tables as well as aux pressure sensors. Also, what is V9 MAP sensor rated at? I heard somewhere it can read up to 2 bars

Psi or Kpa only sorry.  Our notes say the V7-9 factory MAP sensor is good for 23Psi boost.

2. aux sensor calibration - I can't change the predefined axis calibration for some reason, and I need to calibrate aux temp and pressure sensors (one is based on a linearization table, another is just linear with span an offset) - how do I approach this properly?

Can you give a couple of examples of the sensors you want to calibrate?

3. I have 3 different outputs that I need to transfer to Vipec, all of them are simple on/off lights. One is a ground controlled that activates one of the warning lights in my cluster, another is a LED shift light controlled by PWM signal (GC8 don't have the fancy shift light in the cluster like the later STIs), and the third one is a LED that represents knock light. How do I assign all of them and to which ECU pins without the extension module? 

There are not many spare aux outputs on this particular ECU.  You may be able to re-purpose Aux 8 (narrowband oxy heater) or Inj 6 (IC spray).  Aux 8 can do PWM.  Inj 6 can do on/off type functions only.  There is not a good way to do a knock light.  You can turn an Aux on when the knock level goes above a certain value but that does not cover all situations as knock level will vary with RPM and boost.

4. knock control. Can the V7-9 plugin operate the knock control system? I can see it can be enabled, but does it interact with the stock knock sensor, or does it require something else? If not, I do have the Vipec external knock box that I used as an external tool when tuning, theoretically I can integrate it in the car as well (although relying on stock knock sensor would be sufficient for me if the board can do that)

Assuming it is a V88 plug-in it should have knock control built in.

5. closed loop control. can you confirm the changes made during the ongoing closed loop control only affects the cells modified, and not the whole table?

Im not sure what you are on about here.  CLL is an overall short term trim based on how far away the measured lambda is from target.  It is a live value that changes quickly as you move through different conditions/cells etc.  It works the same way in pretty much all ECU's.

6. I am using TechEdge wideband controller, by a chance is there any predefined calibration that can be used for it?

There is no pre-defined, used cal 4,5 or 6 set like below.

9vDCXNS.png

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

Can you give a couple of examples of the sensors you want to calibrate?

There are not many spare aux outputs on this particular ECU.  You may be able to re-purpose Aux 8 (narrowband oxy heater) or Inj 6 (IC spray).  Aux 8 can do PWM.  Inj 6 can do on/off type functions only.  There is not a good way to do a knock light.  You can turn an Aux on when the knock level goes above a certain value but that does not cover all situations as knock level will vary with RPM and boost.

Sure

This is the pressure sensor

https://www.digikey.ee/product-detail/en/ssi-technologies-inc/P51-100-S-B-I36-4.5V-000-000/734-1087-ND/1665849

Data for the temp sensor attached in the zip file

so only two outputs to choose from, eh?... oh well, I guess I will ditch one of the lights

Can you guide me how I can repurpose Aux 8 for the shift light and Inj 6 for the on/off cluster light? 

Temperature Sensor Calibration.zip

For the temp sensor you calibration matches our built in "Std Bosch NTC", so just choose that from the drop down list.

For the pressure sensor the easiest option for a linear senor cal is CAL 4/5/6.  Example for your sensor below.

OrBb2QB.png

For the aux setups you might need to give a bit more info about how they work.  For the PWM shift light - what DC and frequency does it need?  For the warning light - what do you want that do indicate? 

for the PWM shift light I need to look at what I have set in SM4, but I believe its somewhere around 40-60, its a LED so it doesn't need much

the warning light is the dash light that indicates low oil pressure, ground switched - I use it to indicate when the oil temp is below 40* or above 110*

11 hours ago, Hyper said:

the warning light is the dash light that indicates low oil pressure, ground switched - I use it to indicate when the oil temp is below 40* or above 110*

Ok, Im not sure if I have got this right since you mentioned both pressure and temperature, but here is what the logic would look like for the oil temp warning.  The example assumes my oil temp sensor is connected to AN Temp 3.  If you want the same lamp to warn for pressure as well then we can stack a virtual aux onto it to get more activation conditions.

oCitp3M.png

11 hours ago, Hyper said:

for the PWM shift light I need to look at what I have set in SM4, but I believe its somewhere around 40-60, its a LED so it doesn't need much

Sorry, still not sure what you want here.  So you are just sending a constant DC to reduce voltage?  It just turns on at a single RPM?  I thought it was a PWM controlled multi colour shift light module or something?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 4:53 AM, Adamw said:

Assuming it is a V88 plug-in it should have knock control built in.

Adam, can you confirm or deny this particular board supports OEM knock sensor operation? 

got it, waiting on Simon then

there are few bugs I am working on with the wiring, so I can't fire it up to check yet, and I was hoping to get all info so that I can make all the re-wiring accordingly before I plug it in 

and one other thing - I can see I can enable DBW in the software, does this mean that I can adapt DBW manifold/TB and the board uses IAC input/outputs that can be rewired into DBW to control it?