help celica gt4 cant get it to start

Jamie l

In your map fuel is set to off and ignition is set to direct spark?.  Have you upgraded to coil on plug or is it distributor still?  

Also in the trigger 2 settings the sync mode needs to be set to "cam pulse 1x". 

I've turned the fuel off as I've been trying to get a reading from the crank to set the offset but it seem to be all over the place wont stay on one spot ?  The car is on cop and using trigger 1 ne trigger 2 g2 and sheilded ground g- with no err count I'll change the sync to cam pulse 1

I've lowered the trig arming by 0.2 dosnt seem to make any difference the car did have g3 and timing was 10 degrees btdc and offset -5 but for some reason the timing light dosnt see it when the g4 is set the same 

The injectors have the correct dead times for the injectors 1050cc asnu it's set to sequential 4 ms but as I haven't had the car running so cant determine if the is correct 

Thank Jamie 

During crank you are clocking up trig 1 errors which indicates either the 24 tooth pulse (trig 1) or the single tooth pulse (trig 2) is not happy. 

Try cranking the engine with the ignition off (no spark) and see if you still have trig 1 errors counting up.

Hi Simon 

When the sync mode was set at cam level I didnt get any error count  with coils on I've also tried it with the coils off on pulse 1 and no errors 

I've read on a post that on g4 when it's on cop the timing offset needs to be set to 360 advance for a 3s ?

I'm still not having any luck with the timing being all over not staying in one spot could this be the original sheilded distributor wiring or maybe timing light 

Thanks Jamie 

What coils are you running and do they require an external igniter? 

Sync mode on cam level is not suitable as the way it works is it looks for the cam signal to be high or low (hall/optical sensor only) when a gap on the trig 1 is occurring. Put simply it is not an option for the trigger set up you have. 

We have to stop the trigger errors before anything else as if its not happy here every thing will be upset and no way to get stable timing.

Am using the 1zz coils and to my knowledge they dont need a igniter so theres a definite fault with the trigger system and can look more at that I'll put new screened wiring to the distributor.

I've got the sheilded part of the distributor wire going to the sheilded ground on ECU tied in with g- and other sensor grounds the sheilded wire is only tied in at ECU side is this correct ? 

Thanks Jamie 

16 minutes ago, Jamie l said:

Am using the 1zz coils and to my knowledge they dont need a igniter so theres a definite fault with the trigger system and can look more at that I'll put new screened wiring to the distributor.

Yes those are smart coils, no ignitor needed.  I think it is unlikely a "sheilding" problem as there is generally little electrical noise about at cranking speed.

16 minutes ago, Jamie l said:

I've got the sheilded part of the distributor wire going to the sheilded ground on ECU tied in with g- and other sensor grounds the sheilded wire is only tied in at ECU side is this correct ? 

That sounds correct.  

Its a bit difficult to diagnose this with the limited info we have available.  A scope capture of the triggers would make things much easier.  Do you know anyone with an oscilloscope or perhaps someone with a G4+ ecu that they can plug in to do a triggerscope? 

Can you take a look at the runtimes screen (F12) triggers tab and tell us if both trigger 1 signal and trigger 2 signal turn green and say yes when cranking.  See screenshot below.

Can you also attach your latest map so I can take a look at the current settings.

QW6ZYyD.png