Analog voltage sensor to temp3 input possible?

Dan P

Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way to bring out more analog inputs from the board as there are many unused pins on the VR4 plugin, such as timing pin, baro, boost gauge, OBD1 pins etc etc. 

I'm not even sure I have the e-throttle inputs required for a pedal? 

Any suggestions? 

You could try to move some of your temperature inputs from ANVolt's to Temp's.

This depends a bit on your sensor's, but most of them will internally be 1 or 2 wire NTC's, and there will be a pullup either because of the wiring design (ie 5v ref on 1 side, signal on the other), or because you have an external pullup resistor in place. Either way it's conceptually quite simple to just remove the pullup so its measuring resitance to ground rather than resistance to a 5v source.

Technically you are measuring resistance between 5v & ground anyway because of the interal pullup, but just treat it like the circuit goes GND -> sensor -> ANTemp and it should work

You cant move pressure sensors etc to Temp inputs, but I assume you have coolant temp at least, and likely air intake temp. Maybe fuel/oil/other temps if you've added some things in. Move those to ANTemp to free up an ANVolt for your pressure snesor

I wish that was the case. I have IAT and ECT only on ANtemp.  

Seems like I'm out options then.

I had plans of hooking up quite a few more things such as x4 EGT(which i have a controller for), turbo backpressure, turbo speed, coolant pressure, trans line pressure.  

The part that grinds my gears is that I upgraded from a AEM V1 for this exact reason, so I can have more inputs.  During my research the link ECU brochure indicates 12 analog inputs/4 temp inputs. Even if you subtract the required factory analog inputs (MAF, TPS, O2) there should still be 9 ANvolt inputs left over (there are more than enough pins and software configs) but there are only 2! I had more than this on my AEM EMS plugin in 2005. (without expansion plugs, theres lots of pins) I'm not sure what the disconect is between the advertisement and the VR4 plugin actually is but maybe a link ECU rep would care to enlighten me?

20190621_101702.png

Ditch the maf and O2 and you can free up 2 more.  For O2 get a unit that will output to CAN like the link canlambda or aem x series.

Turbo speed would be on a digital input not analogue.

EGT i would run through can as well.

The brochure is listing the possible inputs depending on model.  The inputs on pnp units vary from model to model.  And the VR4 unit is 6 ANs and 3 temps

It lists the possible inputs depending on model? How am I supposed to know this if it's not mentioned in the brochure, or on the VR4 features and specifications tab? I'm sorry but expecting the customer to read installation instructions before purchasing a product is unreasonable. Thats the whole point of the features and specs section of the product page. (which does talk about the analog inputs yet no mention it has changes from the brochure)

I would've NEVER bought this product if I've known I'm left with 2 or 3 analog inputs and not have the outputs for 8 injectors and 4 coils (as advertised) 

Please correct your advertisements so this doesn't happen to anyone else (the specs tab STILL mentions a knock block requirement which is false) 

The main board has it all there but it's just not wired to the outside world. 

You can attach directly to the pins but will void the warranty. Or we can do it for you to retain the warranty.

14 hours ago, Simon said:

You can attach directly to the pins but will void the warranty. Or we can do it for you to retain the warranty.

Yes! This is exactly the solution I was hoping for. I will definitely send it in for modifications once I have some planned downtime. Thanks. 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:49 PM, Simon said:

Simon this is happy news to me because I've always moaned about my plug in not having enough outputs. Can this be done on all pnp ecus and how long would the ECU be required for?? 

What is the cost of this 

• 2 months later...

Can a Evo8+ G4+ (With E-throttle) have additional analog inputs added?

Alternatively, can a DI be fed 0-5v? I too have run out of inputs on my G4+ having gone E-throttle and wiring in TPS Sub/Main and APS Sub/Main.

I still have a number of pressure and temp sensors I wish to wire in, and the remaining 5 channels doesn't provide enough inputs given some factory inputs also need to remain.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread

Can i get the info that would allow me to add some more inputs to my pnp g4+? St185 model.

Short on analog inputs specifically. Already using the 2 extra opened up on the expansion loom.

Already had to desolder and add my own wiring to the ignition expansion as the board I had used some odd connector no one including link when contacted via my tuner could point me to.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Already had to desolder and add my own wiring to the ignition expansion as the board I had used some odd connector no one including link when contacted via my tuner could point me to.

Are you sure the tuner actually contacted us?  We still sell the expansion loom for the ignition expansion on that ecu (Link part number WBL) and it is a just a very common TE mini mate-n-lok connector that you can get from nearly any electrical supplier.  

Are you already using ANVolt 1 & 4 on the main header?

He said he had, that is the part though looking online but the only parts he could offer were the modern expansion type, at the time I took it into jaycar and RS and neither could match it up. And it was close but not quite the molex options I thought to investigate.

Either way it's done and I soldered as a job on in house board manufacture for a few years so I'm confident in 4 simple connections.

Edit: for context the car isn't using the factory loom anymore, and the ecu is being treated as a wire in that just fits the OEM connectors and ecu box. The engine is a high comp big cam rebuild of a caldina turbo engine, without the turbo. But all the nice things like cop and squirters baseline.

I'm using the 3 temp inputs for 

ECT, Oil T, IAT

And anvolt1-6 (didn't try to use 4 twice despite it being on the plug in board and part of the expansion loom) for

Map, TPS, wideband, EGT, oil p, fuel p. 

Extra inputs might be a future thing for now, just looking into it. I would potentially like break pressure, and break vacuum since it's looking like I'm going to need pump assistance and if I could control the pump with the ecu it opens up a bunch of pump options and tuning options vs the kits with switches.