Ford Y5B engine arming threshold question.

Pieter Gouwy

hi,

So i have a Link atom wire in onto a Ford Y5A/B engine in a lotus cortina on Jenvey ITB's.

I got it running, and it runs nicely, but i want to learn how to set the Arming tresholds for the triggers propperly.
according to the link help u take half of the top part of the waveform.

I have added the idle, the 3000RPM adn 5000rpm trigger scope logs for u to see. But i'm wondering, is it possible that the crank trigger making 21 volts at 5K RPM?
Seems a bit high to me?
As if this is correct i should set the value to 10,5 but the link software says max value is 7?

Trigger Scope Log 2019-06-21 4;40;28 pm.llg Trigger Scope Log cortina3000.llg Trigger Scope Log cortina5000.llg

On the first scope, trigger 1 arming should be 3v, and trigger 2 about 0.7v

@3000 rpm trigger 1 should be 7.5v and trigger 2 should be 2v

@5000 rpm trigger 1 should be 11v and trigger 2 should be 3.5v

Your polarity on trigger 2 is also backwards - you need to swap over the signal and ground wires.

and yes the max you can set is 7v. if the ideal value is higher than this, just use 7v. The point where these values matter most is usually when cranking and the voltages are quite close to the noise floor. At high rpm is pretty easy for the computer to tell noise from real signal.

the voltages you are seeing are normal sounding. VR sensors read higher voltages as the speed of the trigger teeth moving past them increases. If anything you trigger 2 voltage is a bit low - does it have a way to adjust the air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel?

8 hours ago, cj said:

Your polarity on trigger 2 is also backwards - you need to swap over the signal and ground wires.

Definitely important to fix this.

8 hours ago, cj said:

If anything you trigger 2 voltage is a bit low - does it have a way to adjust the air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel?

Dont worry too much about this, it is fine as it is.  Voltage output is influenced by tooth count also, so wheels with less teeth always output lower voltage.  Im pretty happy with it as is.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, cj said:

our polarity on trigger 2 is also backwards - you need to swap over the signal and ground wires.

are u 100% sure about this? i went over my triggers with david from link UK and he spotted the trigger 1 being the wrong way round too. So it would surprise me that he would see the trigger one being the wrong way round, but not seeing the trigger 2 wiring error i made?

I have to point out that the trigger 2 is a sensor that just sits bolted to the cam cover that just reads off a cam lobe. So it might give a bit of an odd signal because of that?

Shaving the cam cover a bit would be an option, but if @Adamw thinks its not neccesary i'd rather not, as everything is nicely painted, and that would ruin it.

22 hours ago, Adamw said:

Dont worry too much about this, it is fine as it is.  Voltage output is influenced by tooth count also, so wheels with less teeth always output lower voltage.  Im pretty happy with it as is.

I believe strongly it will work too, as it picks up nicely with the timing light, idling and starting works fine. But the reason i doublecheck with u guys is, i just want to learn how to do it the right way, so i know what i'm doing in the future.

Did u guys see the actual values of the threshold tables how they are currently setup now? Or do i need to add the file to make u able to see at what it was set to during testing these trigger scopes?

2 hours ago, Pieter Gouwy said:

are u 100% sure about this? i went over my triggers with david from link UK and he spotted the trigger 1 being the wrong way round too. So it would surprise me that he would see the trigger one being the wrong way round, but not seeing the trigger 2 wiring error i made?

CJ is correct, your trigger 2 is incorrect.  Trigger 1 was already correct in your triggerscopes above.

2 hours ago, Pieter Gouwy said:

Did u guys see the actual values of the threshold tables how they are currently setup now? Or do i need to add the file to make u able to see at what it was set to during testing these trigger scopes?

You need to attach the tune file or a PC log to see the arming threshold.  I would follow CJ's suggested values.