How to wire in Lambda sensor

BlakeR33

My battery for my R33 Skyline is rear mounted. Would I need to run a power wire all the way from the rear of the car to a relay in the engine bay to power the Lambda CAN as per the instructions in the manual? I'm guessing it can't be piggy backed off something else as could interrupt the signal. 

Is there a special relay to get, or does a place like Jay Car have everything I should need?

Best place for the air sensor is just before the throttle butterfly. Its usually fine to have it anywhere in the piping between the intercooler and the throttle butterfly too.

The can-lambda module draws 100ma for itself and 8A for the sensor heater, so 8.1A. You shouldnt get any interference feeding back from the controller, so just any fuse/circuit near the engine bay that can take an extra 8.1A of load will be fine.

I would advise avoiding any power supply that has inductive loads on it like coils and injectors as this can cause issues for the can lambda they need a noise free supply.

A CAN Lambda will draw up to 1.5 Amps during warm up phase and about 1 Amp to maintain temperature (in ambient surroundings).  They must have a good, noise free power supply or if that's not possible, add an electrolytic capacitor near the CAN Lambda (I use 47µF).  As Simon said, they really don't work if they are wired near an inductive load.

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:43 AM, Simon said:

I would advise avoiding any power supply that has inductive loads on it like coils and injectors as this can cause issues for the can lambda they need a noise free supply.

Can you specify anywhere in a skylines engine bay to tap into? 

On 7/6/2019 at 8:59 PM, Richard Hill said:

A CAN Lambda will draw up to 1.5 Amps during warm up phase and about 1 Amp to maintain temperature (in ambient surroundings).  They must have a good, noise free power supply or if that's not possible, add an electrolytic capacitor near the CAN Lambda (I use 47µF).  As Simon said, they really don't work if they are wired near an inductive load.

Can you specify anywhere in a skylines engine bay to tap into? 

Or am I best off to just run a wire all the way from the battery in the back, to the front to supply the CAN Lambda power? I tried researching this but can't seem to find anything which is strange I would've thought a lot of people would have done this before.