G4 Fury on Rx7 FD3S

Markus

So i have received my G4 Fury which i will start to wire up this weekend into my RX7 FD3S Series 6 .

I was planning to use the 4 ABS sensors as wheel speed sensors do do traction control via E-Throttle  with a RX8 Pedal and RX8 Throttle body .

So here are my questions :

1. Can i just splice into the ABS Sensors (as i plan to still use the ABS) ?

2. Can someone tell me the Link settings for the RX7  Series 6 ABS Sensors 

3.Can i Run also a 5th speed input ( OEM gearbox sensor ) for general speed

(this is the speed i want to ouput as vehicle speed on can for my dash )

The catch with the ABS pick up is the frequency will be too high for the Di channels. You need much less teeth to keep the frequency below 500Hz at top speed. 

You can run a 5th speed input but its not needed as all functions will operate via the wheel speeds. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I put the wheel speeds via ABS sensors aside for now . 

I don't have a OMP or Aircon  

But i will have a RX8 DBW Throttle and Pedal as well as AEM Smart coils and dual fuel pumps . I made a mockup diagram and wanted to know if that looks correct ?

G4 Fury Wiring2.jpg

a couple of things you should change

1) ethrottle relay in the top right needs its trigger side positive to be fed from after the fuse rather than the output of the relay itself - I suspect this is just a typo though.

2) I wouldnt run sensor grounds to your coils, its much more likely to leak electrical noise onto your signal ground wiring which causes all kinds of issues, and coils typically work fine from an engine ground. I know the AEM guide says to do this, and I can only assume its so they have a cleaner comparision between trigger signals and ground to prevent dwell/timing issues on the coils themselves, but i'd run engine ground to both coil ground wires. I havent used these coils myself so cant give real world feedback but in general this seems like a bad idea.

3) The shield ground pin should only connect to the shielding wire around the trigger wiring (assuming it is shielded wire). It should not be grounded at the engine end or to the sensor itself. The actual trigger pins should receive sensor ground (ground out).

5 hours ago, cj said:

2) I wouldnt run sensor grounds to your coils, its much more likely to leak electrical noise onto your signal ground wiring which causes all kinds of issues, and coils typically work fine from an engine ground. I know the AEM guide says to do this, and I can only assume its so they have a cleaner comparision between trigger signals and ground to prevent dwell/timing issues on the coils themselves, but i'd run engine ground to both coil ground wires. I havent used these coils myself so cant give real world feedback but in general this seems like a bad idea.

Either usually works, but sensor ground is preferable for the signal ground on these coils.  The signal input on these is TTL logic level so you only need a 0.8V ground offset and you can get a random sparks.  It would still be unlikely in normal circumstances to have an offset of 0.8v between cyl head and ECU ground but better to be safe than sorry.

5 hours ago, cj said:

3) The shield ground pin should only connect to the shielding wire around the trigger wiring (assuming it is shielded wire). It should not be grounded at the engine end or to the sensor itself. The actual trigger pins should receive sensor ground (ground out).

I will add that it is fine to connect both the crank sensor grounds and the shield to the same shield/gnd pin.  This is how its done in the Link supplied looms.  The "Shield/gnd" pins and the "ground out" pins are connected internally and can be used interchangeably.

Edit: I just noticed a couple of other mistakes:

Boost solenoid needs switched +12V on one side, ECU aux on the other (cant high side drive a boost solenoid).

The pressure sensor pinouts look wrong, usually the center pin is the signal.

6 minutes ago, Brad Burnett said:

@Markus just curious what software you used to make your wiring diagram?

Microsoft paint and lots of patience :-)

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Either usually works, but sensor ground is preferable for the signal ground on these coils.  The signal input on these is TTL logic level so you only need a 0.8V ground offset and you can get a random sparks.  It would still be unlikely in normal circumstances to have an offset of 0.8v between cyl head and ECU ground but better to be safe than sorry.

I will add that it is fine to connect both the crank sensor grounds and the shield to the same shield/gnd pin.  This is how its done in the Link supplied looms.  The "Shield/gnd" pins and the "ground out" pins are connected internally and can be used interchangeably.

Edit: I just noticed a couple of other mistakes:

Boost solenoid needs switched +12V on one side, ECU aux on the other (cant high side drive a boost solenoid).

The pressure sensor pinouts look wrong, usually the center pin is the signal.

218771144_IppyWiring.thumb.jpg.deaafcaaccf0018ce37a9b98f355bc7d.jpgI made the sugested changes . So i understand you correct that on the AEM coils i was right to use Sensor Ground ( As this was what AEM's diagram indicates ) 

My last question is with regards to the FAN relais . The Rx7 has 4 Fan relais from what i can gather i am unsure to which one i have to connect it . I want to use INj7 to switch on the fan do you have maybe any drawing of the Rx7 FD Fan wiring ?

AEM30-2853-4SMARTCoilDiagram-2.png

On 7/30/2019 at 12:05 AM, Markus said:

right to use Sensor Ground ( As this was what AEM's diagram indicates ) 

Correct

On 7/30/2019 at 12:05 AM, Markus said:

My last question is with regards to the FAN relais . The Rx7 has 4 Fan relais from what i can gather i am unsure to which one i have to connect it . I want to use INj7 to switch on the fan do you have maybe any drawing of the Rx7 FD Fan wiring ?

Wiring diagram below.  The ECU should control relay #2 & 4.  #1 is controlled by the AC unit and #3 is controlled directly by a thermoswitch.  I assume G/B means it is either a green and black or gray and black wire that you need to connect to Inj7.  

negRgdT.png

cL21d4w.png