Adam_Rostron

WRXv107+ and coolant temp gauge issues

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 x WRX 2008 models here one is an sti and the other a normal wrx.

I have used the wrxv107+ ecu.

Both cars have the same 2 issues.

ABS light on the dash that I can't get rid of and coolant temp gauges rear maxed out on the factory dash. 

I have attached the O.e wiring information. It looks like the temp senders feed information directly to the dash so I don't understand why they are both having coolant temp gauge issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you have wired in extremes or thunders into these later models cars and can shed some information that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Adam

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5L Non Turbo 2.pdf

The wiring diagram i'm looking at for 2008 WRX's shows the temp gauge on the dash as canbus. http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/2008/Impreza 2008/

The diagram you have matches what i've got for a 2007 model.

As long as you have the 2007 version of the ECU, the CAN pins are free (plug C 27 & 35) so you could de-pin them from the main connector and wire them up to the canbus pins on the ECU. I'd be hesitant to just bridge onto the wires as even though they are unused, only the link guys could tell you if they are still physically wired to something. If you have the 2006 spec ECU, one of those pins is ANVolt5 so you would lose this input by doing this.

Theres a pretty good chance these use the same device ID's as the legacy's of similar years, and so if you wire up the canbus pins and transmit a user defined stream on ID 600,  @ 20hz  with bit 3 set to ECT +40 it should make the temp gauge work

image.png.99f960fc3855e5b88f2c402f5bc7a9e3.png

image.png.48fa98dd6d65d1d28dd0f9316d5c3597.png

There are a other parameters transmitted via CAN to get the whole dash to work however.  This guy has a good starting point but if you want everything to work you will need to do some testing & captures with your own vehicle with the factory ECU installed. https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/can-messages

I suspect you wont see vehicle speed registered in the ECU out of the box either - the abs unit feeds the dash, but expects the ECM to receive this via CAN. Either set the ECU to receive this on the right ID, or jumper into the Pink/Green wire (pin31 on the dash or pin5 in the OP connector) to get a traditional VSS signal on whatever DI the ECU used to receive VSS on with the older models. Receive VSS is probably 16 bits on ID512 on bytes 3 & 2 (byte 3 is the bigger half of the number), and the value sent is 16x the actual value, so a received value of 1000 = 62.5kph.

FYI the reason it goes full hot is because the temp gauge wires to the ECU (so this should read right), then ECU sends CAN to the body computer, and the body computer sends CAN (on a different bus) to the gauges. Error state for that second temp message is 0xFF (ie as hot as it can read), and because the body computer isnt getting a signal from the ECU, it's in error state.

I suspect your ABS warning is because of a similar lack of canbus comms from the ECU to the ABS unit, but i'm not sure which value you will need to send to keep it happy. 

Yeah, its all CAN bus in the gen 3 cars, our plug in ECU is not designed for these cars.  There will be lots of other stuff besides the temp gauge that wont work - DCCD etc.

Those are “gen 3” cars, Link does not make an ECU For the Gen 3’s.  The Link WRX107 ecu is for gen 2 cars which have a chassis code GG.  Most of the dash, abs, climate control and center diff won’t work in a Gen 3 as it’s all controlled by CAN.  

So... the quest to get these subarus going is continuing.

I am using a Unichip as a Can Sniffer to retrieve this information...

The first drama I had is that Link uses decimal and subaru can system is hex... so a quick google conversion got me up and running.

So far I've managed to get the coolant temp gauge working. I've managed to collect vehicle speed from the ABS module and steering angle sensor...

My next project is to get the "S" drive system working on the sti...

the next drama i have is that there appears to be either accel pedal or tps info on 3 different can id's that get transmitted from the factory ecu. Does anyone have any further information on subaru can and TPS? the wordpress website for can information is no longer working

https://web.archive.org/web/20151220002254/https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/can-messages/

still there on web archive. looks like 0x410 on byte 4 according to that blog.

Looking at the notes i've got from my testing, 410-4, 411-3, 412-0, and 412-5 all produced something that looked approximately like an APS signal. If you overlay all 4 of these on a single graph you notice that 412-5 bottoms out at about 23 (out of 255), so I assume this is either TPS pos or TPS request.

Also, 411-3 maxes out at 235 rather than going all the way to 255, so again, I assume this is not APS, but is something around torque/tps request as its clearly not actual APS, that I know went all the way to 100%.

that leaves 410-4 & 412-0 as possibilities. I decided that APS % was most likely 412-0 in my case (2005 legacy) because it was the only one that seemed to follow my attempt at a linear pedal press. The others all had a slow ramp up, which matches the response i'd noramlly feel. 

Have a look at bit of software called freeSSM (that I didnt know about back when I first did this) that will show you the parameters as the ECU sees them (its a reverse engineered version of subaru select monitor). With this info as well you may be able to correlate the can info better to internal ecu parameters

5 hours ago, Adam_Rostron said:

The first drama I had is that Link uses decimal and subaru can system is hex... so a quick google conversion got me up and running.

Just FYI, CAN is binary - there are just 1's and 0's going down the wires.  It is the GUI of your device that is converting it to Hex.  Most CAN sniffers have settings to display the data and ID's in different formats.

14 hours ago, cj said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151220002254/https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/can-messages/

still there on web archive. looks like 0x410 on byte 4 according to that blog.

Looking at the notes i've got from my testing, 410-4, 411-3, 412-0, and 412-5 all produced something that looked approximately like an APS signal. If you overlay all 4 of these on a single graph you notice that 412-5 bottoms out at about 23 (out of 255), so I assume this is either TPS pos or TPS request.

Also, 411-3 maxes out at 235 rather than going all the way to 255, so again, I assume this is not APS, but is something around torque/tps request as its clearly not actual APS, that I know went all the way to 100%.

that leaves 410-4 & 412-0 as possibilities. I decided that APS % was most likely 412-0 in my case (2005 legacy) because it was the only one that seemed to follow my attempt at a linear pedal press. The others all had a slow ramp up, which matches the response i'd noramlly feel. 

Have a look at bit of software called freeSSM (that I didnt know about back when I first did this) that will show you the parameters as the ECU sees them (its a reverse engineered version of subaru select monitor). With this info as well you may be able to correlate the can info better to internal ecu parameters

you are a wealth of knowledge.

I guess the hardest part about all of this is trying to work out exactly what the ABS module needs in order to stop throwing fault codes so the s drive system will work... I'm hoping I don't run out of transmit/receive channels trying to complete this.

Is it possible to hook both can 1 and can 2 up on the ECU to the same can network? or no because they both have TR's in them?