Fuel pump controller setup

Adzn3k

Hi guys

I recently fitted a fuel pressure sensor and I'm seeing a differential pressure drop when on boost. As soon as the car sees positive boost the differential pressure starts to drop progressively and at 0.8 bar its showing a drop of 1.5bar. 

I'm still on the stock fuel pump wiring which has a resistor pack, the cars running a walbro 225, a dwr1000 fpr and id1000 injectors. 

I have a feeling the stock wiring setup is what's causing me the issue. I'm looking at changing the walbro 225 out for a 450 and then making my own wiring and control the new pump via pwm and an ssr I've searched and found this wiring diagram:

vipec_SSR_wiring.jpg.170d3de8d0e056d928b

After reading the threads it seems that the jury was still out of the above diagram is the way to go. 

A reliable method I use is to cut the positive feed near the fuel pump and insert a standard relay.  Use the original supply wire to Terminal 86 to positive trigger the relay, hard ground terminal 85 and then Run a 2.5mm fused wire directly from the battery to terminal 30. Terminal 87 supplies power via the original short wire to the pump. 

HTH, 

Richard. 

• 3 weeks later...

or you could wire in an external pump controller which is PWM capable. There is a ford unit that is used in a lot of 2000's era jagaurs, fords, etc and is very similar to the controller sold by nzefi. Similar era subaru's with ez30's and I think a bunch of the later turbo models also had similar controllers. Most of these should be available in a junkyard for cheap. They typically take 12v, ground, and PWM inputs, then the PWM control the fuel pump on the 2x output wires.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:10 PM, Adzn3k said:

Hi guys

I recently fitted a fuel pressure sensor and I'm seeing a differential pressure drop when on boost. As soon as the car sees positive boost the differential pressure starts to drop progressively and at 0.8 bar its showing a drop of 1.5bar. 

I'm still on the stock fuel pump wiring which has a resistor pack, the cars running a walbro 225, a dwr1000 fpr and id1000 injectors. 

I have a feeling the stock wiring setup is what's causing me the issue. I'm looking at changing the walbro 225 out for a 450 and then making my own wiring and control the new pump via pwm and an ssr I've searched and found this wiring diagram:

vipec_SSR_wiring.jpg.170d3de8d0e056d928b

After reading the threads it seems that the jury was still out of the above diagram is the way to go. 

This:https://www.nzefi.com/product/fuel-pump-pwm-speed-controller/

On 8/31/2019 at 1:53 AM, Adzn3k said:

Yeah I could do that but I don't want to. I want to control the fuel pump speed via pwm

What are you trying to achieve by PWM?  Is it a noisy pump?  Remember when you are idling and cruising fuel pressure is naturally lower so pump current is lower all on its own without any intervention.

9 hours ago, Adzn3k said:

It's mainly to bin the stock setup 

In that case the recommended option would be to do it as per Richard Hills advice - keep it simple and only add complexity where it is needed.  PWM is just going to add complexity and more tuning with no real benefit.