Subaru STI engine problem with advance

Ted

Hi there all,

i am facing a problem that i can not solve and i would like to know if anyone has face anything like this before. 

I am having the oem ecu and i am running with it for example at 1.5 bar of boost 20o advance and with the link now i am having 10o less.... and it is still doing some noise on the knock control.

i have checked everything from the trigger to all the configurations...

can anyone explain that please??

Thank you in advance 

Ted

p.s. this is my map file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u2cx1ZBQ66FVdE6DoaYb8im1vIODOZun/view?usp=sharing

even that i am running less advance the car goes same or even better when i am running the oem ecu

28 minutes ago, 0x33 said:

What sort of knock detection are you using?

I am using the oem knock sensor for link ecu tested with the knock link as I am using it for external purposes to check the OEM sensor. 

The thing is that the car runs and makes tons of power even with the [email protected] bar of boost. 

It made [email protected] with gtx3076 gen2 

And with the oem ecu made 490whp@ at same pressure. 

Who can understand that ??

5 hours ago, Ted said:

I am using the oem knock sensor for link ecu tested with the knock link as I am using it for external purposes to check the OEM sensor. 

The thing is that the car runs and makes tons of power even with the [email protected] bar of boost. 

It made [email protected] with gtx3076 gen2 

And with the oem ecu made 490whp@ at same pressure. 

Who can understand that ??

So you are running less timing on the Link but making slightly more power than the factory ECU which seems to be running significantly more timing. 

I haven't had much experiences with Subaru ECU, but I know that compared to most Toyota ECU's which seem to have fairly aggressive ignition curves, I can usually make better power with a less aggressive looking timing map. 

Could it be that the ignition values you are seeing on Subaru ECU are not the values used for final ignition angle sent to ignition system ? Perhaps the ignition values from ignition map will have some modifiers, or are higher because of X and you are not able to see this?

If you could really be bothered to investigate, then I would get a timing light on the motor during a pull on the stock ECU. See if the light confirms the ignition values you see on the ECU. 

Couple of things to check

1) are there 2x timing marks on the pulley / does the service manual say that the 1x mark you have is at TDC or at -10deg? If the mark is 10deg off where you think it is, your whole tune could be 10deg out and so 20deg factory is exactly equal to 10deg on your tune.

2) if you look at the crank pulley is there any damage or cracking where the outer part of the wheel attaches with a rubber section to the inside section. If the outer edge of the crank pulley has moved 10deg then this would have the same effect. Depending on how much access you have to the front of the engine you could set it to TDC from the crank pulley, then pull the pulley off and see if the marks on the block etc match TDC - maybe the marks on the pulley are wrong.

10 hours ago, 0x33 said:

If you could really be bothered to investigate, then I would get a timing light on the motor during a pull on the stock ECU. See if the light confirms the ignition values you see on the ECU. 

This.  I would say the most likely explanation is the values displayed in the stock ecu software are not what the engine is actually seeing.