Altezza Rs200 - DBW issue

lity

Few days back in a drive , my rpm suddenly stayed at high rpm , even thou i was on off  throttle.  I had no brakes too.    Was a crazy scary experience.   Manage to come out ok.  Restarted the car several times ; it will high rev  with CEL. And brake pedal was very hard.   Later check and found - the DBW TB  butterfly valve was in full open state. Regardless , engine on or off.  Error code 70 and 75.

I put in a spare DBW TB ; everything back to normal.

1) is there something like a "safe mode" that i can setup in links G4+? (how and where)   In the OEM ecu ; if not mistaken it will cut off and run on limp mode - so that situation i experience wouldn't have happen with oem ecu.

2) I've another DBW TB with premium kit (generally allows drive by cable) ;  can the dbw be disable ;  tps to remain ? if yes how \ where?   and can i still setup to idle (for air con , lights .. etc) ?  how & where? 

Note : Altezza rs200 (manual)

I'm not sure if the altezza factory wiring (and therefore plugin) have this, but all wire in ECU's need an ethrottle relay wired to them. If the ECU detects a malfunction it cuts power to this relay and the throttle goes back to its mechanical idle position (usually 3-5% open). If it's not in the factory wiring you could certainly cut into a couple wires to add a relay that does this.

There is nothing that can be done however if the blade mechanically jams open as even cutting the power will not close the throttle. You cant have a fully configure cable & ethrottle at the same time. If you configure ethrottle and all the safety's, the engine might cut out in an error condition but it should prevent the type of dangerous fault you describe where it gets forced open. 

ok.  any idea on this "2I've another DBW TB with premium kit (generally allows drive by cable) ;  can the dbw be disable ;  tps to remain ? if yes how \ where?   and can i still setup to idle (for air con , lights .. etc) ?  how & where? ?

I dont know much about that exact kit, but if you put a cable throttle body on any engine engine, run a cable from the accelerator pedal, and mount a TPS on it, then yes you can convert to cable throttle. 

For idle, you either need an idle air valve of some sort, or you need to use ignition idle control combined with careful adjustment of the throttle stop screw.  

4 hours ago, cj said:

I'm not sure if the altezza factory wiring (and therefore plugin) have this, but all wire in ECU's need an ethrottle relay wired to them. If the ECU detects a malfunction it cuts power to this relay and the throttle goes back to its mechanical idle position (usually 3-5% open). If it's not in the factory wiring you could certainly cut into a couple wires to add a relay that does this.

The Altezza does have a E-throttle relay to shut down the throttle system.  

However, the Altezza DBW is very odd in that it operates much like a cable throttle.  The pedal is still mechanical and has a cable that goes to the throttle body, the "pedal position" sensor is actually inside the throttle body.  Even with the electrics off, the cable can still mechanically move the throttle blade about 50% or so.  So the safety system can only take care of faulty sensors, it cant do much if for instance the cable sticks so the "pedal position sensor" still commands 100% after the driver has lifted off.

1 hour ago, cj said:

I dont know much about that exact kit, but if you put a cable throttle body on any engine engine, run a cable from the accelerator pedal, and mount a TPS on it, then yes you can convert to cable throttle. 

I believe these kits fit inside the original TB and just lock the cable operated portion to the butterfly shaft effectively converting it to cable operated throttle.  

Lity - can you go to ECU Controls>ECU log file download, and check if there is maybe a log in there that captured this event.

One thing you can do as an extra safety strategy while you get to the bottom of the problem is set up a GP limiter that looks at throttle position and brake pedal (brake pedal is DI6).  Set it up so that if brake pedal is active when throttle position is more than say 50%, the ecu will cut engine.

15 hours ago, Adamw said:

Lity - can you go to ECU Controls>ECU log file download, and check if there is maybe a log in there that captured this event.

just checked - no log.

attached is my pclr - my cold start is bad. and when driving in traffic with air con , lights .. etc -  the rev drops quite a bit.    would you be able to advice.

thxs

altezzaRS200.pclr

• 2 years later...

So I had this EXACT problem when the RPM spiked up, held, then went into limp mode, also had no brakes even when the engine was running... Did you ever get to the bottom of this @lity? My throttle body is JAMMED shut right now, even with the motor power taken off... I wonder if the dbw motor itself got physically jammed inside...