Nissan 360 optical trigger unreliability

Guest |167|

Guest |167|

What is the main cause that makes the the Nissan trigger system unreliable?

Is it the large number of "teeth", that makes the needed resolution to read it correctly at high rpm's to high?

Or is it simply that it's mounted on the cam, that makes it less precise? (stretch in belt etc)

Reason I'm asking, is that I'm mounting an Vi-pec ecu on an high power Nissan engine, and the customer want's to ditch the stock trigger due to it's lack of precision.

Then I have two options to do this.

- Use the stock sensor, but change to a trigger disc with 24 teeth for ref and 1 tooth for sync. (I have attached a drawing of an replacement disc)

- Mount an crank wheel with 24 teeth, and 1 tooth on the cam.

I assume that option number two gives the best result, but also would cost more. If the first option will make it reliable, it would be a cheap modification.

Guest |202|

To my knowledge the only system that really has issues with this trigger is an AEM EMS.

I've had many SR setups in my car and PFC, Autronic SM4, ViPEC V44 all had no issues controlling the car. With an AEM I had to swap the trigger disks...No need to say anything further.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest |863|
The standard CA18 trigger disk is the best to use. There is no reason you should think of changing it for anything else.

Ray.

No, i want a crank trigger.

As you said yourself: The cas moves around at high speed.

This kills wrist pins and wristpin bushings.

If the engine is going to rev over 8000 rpm all the time, then use a crank trigger. The reason for this has noting to do with the ability of the V44 to read the 360 slots. It is due to the CAS being driven from the end of the camshaft which moves around at very high rpm.

Ray.

Guest |863|

One more question:

With the 24 teeth wheel i will still need a sensor on one camshaft for sync?

How will this effect the accuracy of the trigger if you consider belt stretch ect?

Because we have people who do not have Vipec ECU that try to use this forum for support for another brand ECU. That is why we require a serial number and model to get support from this forum.

I have never heard of Kermit Sport Racing. It looks like they are in Russia.

Ray.

Guest |863|
Because we have people who do not have Vipec ECU that try to use this forum for support for another brand ECU. That is why we require a serial number and model to get support from this forum.

I have never heard of Kermit Sport Racing. It looks like they are in Russia.

Ray.

Understandable, i have just ordered it from them and they are located in Norway.

(they even have it on their site: http://ksr.as/index.php?cPath=491_351 )

Anyways, i just want some input around this trigger subject.

any input regarding the "sync" on the camshaft?