Boost control with haltech rotary switch

ozyvr4

I thinking about using the haltech rotary trim switch for boost control. From my understanding it uses the 5v source and gives different signal voltage for each of the 12 switch points. 

Has anyone used this with success.  Im wonder if a 3d table configured with rpm and an ANV input to control solenoid duty cycle should work. Is this posible. 

Im not after 12 settings but 3 woud nice. wastegate pressure , mid boost and highboost. 

Set a AN for the rotary switch. 5V from ECU.

Set the AN as a GP Input, give it a clear label.
Set Calibration to a unused Cal.

The Calibration table should have a input units as volts, can set table increments to 1, most rotary switches you can lockout the other unused steps on the switch itself. Create a table with the steps eg 1..2..3 and the voltage for each in the table. You can workout what each step if using Ohms law or put on a multimeter.

Once you have a Cal table and a AN mapped tot he switch, you can then create a boost table or Wastegate DC% 1 - Active table with RPM on the X-axis and the AN input on the Y-Axis. Then map it out with higher duty with the higher rotary position.

• 1 year later...

I also have one of these switches and would like to control multiple functions based on switch position.  Example is position 1 would be normal (flex fuel, boost based on ethanol content, 7200rpm limit), pos2 would be low boost (for rain and track days to minimize heat soak), pos3 for autox (increased rev limit to 7800), pos4 for valet (minimum boost, 3000 rev limit), etc...

So I'd wire in the switch to an open AN, set the cal table, and then can I set tables in each function (rev limit, wastegate, etc...) to all reference the same table?

Yes you can do that.  You will need to use vitrual auxes where you want to trigger a complete change of a table, but for a lot of the functions you will probably just be able to put the switch position on the axis of the table.  

Here is how the switch would be set up, the cal table is used to convert the voltage into a "position number".  

5PQcP3R.png

And then for something like the RPM limit you could just put switch position on one axis.  Here is an example with a 7200 limit in most positions except higher limit in pos 3 and valet limit in pos 3:

W3jr2UW.png

For boost you could either do it similar to above with switch posiiton on the axis of the boost target table, or you could use virtual auxes to switch tables.  Here is an example of switching to a low boost table for position 2:

W5Xje8e.png

This was a customer car with a 12 position switch (AEM I think) I remote dyno tuned.  We set the swtich to allow it to blend between his minimum (pump gas) boost level and different levels on ethanol depending on switch position.  I know this isn't exactly what you were asking to do, but it shows another approach to still get proper ethanol content based boost with multiple switch positions.

image.thumb.png.cdd51c62945c7dc17c1e424192756480.png

The reason the switch position are on the x-axis of these boost tables was there wasn't 12 rows available on those tables