K20 coils in b18c turbo

Devon

Hi there I have fitted 4 cop k20a coils to my b18c turbo engine it is running well..i am pretty sure the spark is getting blown out once I get up to about 10psi.just wondering if anyone has settings that will help them operate correctly.i have uploaded my pc link save file.

thanks 

12.10.19.pclr

Your basic ignition settings and dwell looks ok.

Can you post a log of it running in the misfire area, you have a trigger error showing in your map when it was saved and some of the ecu statistics have some values which may indicate your problem is trigger related.

Can you reset ECU statistics also.

new map save attached .the statistics had been reset before the next drive I took with two data logs. misfire happens at around 4 to 5000 rpm in second gear with the tps at 100 percent..on Log 2019-10-13 3;38;45 pm.. it is at around 3.06.624  & 4.36.803 &  5.36.171..i am seeing the rpm drop a little in these areas...at the same time I installed the new coils I put In another dizzy with just the two triggers inside .before I done this I never saw any trig errors..now most of the time on cracking it gets one trig error..

the other log I have Log 2019-10-13 3;27;50 pm.. the problem shows at 2.59..basiclly I can get through first gear go to second and just falls over.

Thank you for your time 

.pclr Log 2019-10-13 3;27;50 pm.llg Log 2019-10-13 3;38;45 pm.llg

Ok, I dont see any major trigger issues in those logs.  So it does seem like you are shy on ignition energy.  Your dwell looks about right though.  As a test to confirm if it is an ignition energy problem can you try closing the spark plug gap up.  Go as low as 0.5mm if you need to.  

• 1 month later...

hi there finally had a chance to look at my car.. I closed up the plug gap to 0.5mm..still same issue ..it was running fine before I installed the coils and dizzy with just triggers inside. what would the trigger scope show if the sensors were wired up backwards .would this make a difference?

also it is ok until the boost comes on..8psi at this point.

trigger scope at idle. save attached 

thanks 

trig scope.jpg

Triggerscope looks good, polarity is correct, alignment is good and voltages are normal.

1 hour ago, Devon said:

it was running fine before I installed the coils and dizzy with just triggers inside.

So apart from just disconnecting the original coil/ignitor that was inside the distributor, did you change any of the other wiring - grounds or the trigger wires?

yes the ground for the coil packs are direct to the engine block. The positive for the coil packs is used from the previous internal coil. I did reconfigure the remaining left over wires that were for the dizzy to run the x4 coil signals plus other wires that are not used any more eg: the o2 sensor wire and vtec oil press switch.

should I maybe try direct wires from ecu to coils

You can use the ignition test function to test the coils are sparking.  If you closed the plug gap up to 0.5mm and it didnt improve the misfire then the suggestion would be it is not ignition energy related.

You might have to get it to a tuner or someone experienced involved.