V6 wrx with a ej25 avcs engine

The green light

Thanks for clearing that up Simon, I'm currently trying to track Down some one local with the neccessary equipment to  help me with a trigger scope.  I have configured the crank / cam to Version 7, should I also turn the vvt stuff off? I have also brought home with me a v7 ej20, it still has the crank trigger wheel and the cams attached but is missing the sensors, I thought maybe I could unwillingly swap the trigger wheels over? 

1 hour ago, The green light said:

should I also turn the vvt stuff off?

At the moment you have a trigger problem.  The trigger is only the crank wheel and the front cam wheel, VVT settings or anything related to the rear cam sensors is not going to have any influence.  You can leave that alone for now.

Have you tried the dip switches on the ECU bottom PCB in both Immob and No Immob positions as per the manual?  

hPZjQhP.png

6 minutes ago, The green light said:

Besides doing a trigger scope do I have any other options?

A trigger error means the ecu is not receiving the expected pattern from the crank and cam sensor.  The quickest way to troubleshoot that is to get a scope capture of it so you can see the same signal the ECU is receiving and see what is wrong with it.  

Any other option is just shooting in the dark swapping parts and you could end up replacing the whole car and still not find it.  It could be anything from a wiring issue to cam timing to a wrong sensor or other related part fitted.

It will be a bit of a learning curve if you havent used one before, but you can get a basic 2 channel scope for about USD$50:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-PC-Virtual-Oscilloscope-OSC482-2-CH-20M-Bandwidth-50M-Samplinmg-Rate/254039609497?

14 hours ago, Stevieturbo said:

Only other caveat with 99/00 etc......is STI vs non STI sometimes have the crank/cam input wires reversed.

So on a V5/6 loom and pnp......depending on what vehicle it actually is and wiring loom, you may need to swap these around.

That is what the dip switches do that I mentioned two posts up.  (even though it says "polarity", the switches actually swap the crank for cam).  So this possibility is already covered.

Ok guys a small break through, I unplugged my expansion connector, cranked the car over and no more trigger errors!  Yay but why? Is it because I have earthed something inappropriately? Where is the best place to earth wideband, A.I.T ? Also anti lag, and launch control, am I correct in thinking that these switches can be grounded and if so were? 

Thanks for all your help!!

I cant think of how that would effect anything, in your earlier logs all sensors appeared to be reading correctly so it suggests nothing is shorted out in the Exp loom.

To confirm that really was your problem, if you plug the exp connector back in do your trigger errors come back?

Are you getting RPM now?

On 11/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, The green light said:

Ok guys a small break through, I unplugged my expansion connector, cranked the car over and no more trigger errors!  Yay but why? Is it because I have earthed something inappropriately? Where is the best place to earth wideband, A.I.T ? Also anti lag, and launch control, am I correct in thinking that these switches can be grounded and if so were? 

Thanks for all your help!!

earth a wideband in what respect ?

Presumably you should not be taking a power ground for a wideband controller from a sensor connection....or arguably any connection from an ecu that does not have a dedicated output for such a purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys I just wanted to give you a bit of a follow-up it's been a while since I replied, I got the car to the point where it was firing but sounding like maybe the firing order was wrong or something just wasn't quite right, since then I have gone out and purchased a ej207 out of a Version 7 WRX, I have pulled the entire wiring loom out finding multiple problems along the way such as, the shielded Earth's for the cam sensor wiring I had wired to the same earth that was coming from the cam sensor if that makes sense. #newbie

Where I am at now as I have learnt some basic skills and I have managed to draw up some documentation for the body harness and build that leaving the original fuse box , and now I am starting to think about how I am going to wire up the motor.

Is there anywhere near Dunedin who stocks a good range of factory pins and plugs for the likes of subaru? A couple other things that I would like to mention is antilag and launch control,  what's the point of a rally car without them haha, but seriously is there anything I should be planning into the build now so I dont end up limiting myself later on? 

Cheers. 

Probably the only company that may have some stock subaru connectors in NZ would be NZEFI.  

21 hours ago, The green light said:

A couple other things that I would like to mention is antilag and launch control,  what's the point of a rally car without them haha, but seriously is there anything I should be planning into the build now so I dont end up limiting myself later on? 

For anti lag you would probably want to run a couple of spare wires up to the throttlebody to allow fitting a kicker later.  Also, make provision for an EGT sensor.