2003 Evo 8 crazy idle

Luis Lopez

Hi guys I’m having some issues with my evo 8. Everyday I have to change my idle setup. And now after a I’m driving coming to a stop it goes crazy like it’s switching between ignition and ignition idle table. And if I turn the ac on sometimes it dies and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve never seen a car so unstable and inconsistent as far as idle setup goes. I did everything per the manual to setup the open loop idle and close loop. I’m honestly tired of dealing with it and I’m not an expert so I’m asking you guys for some input. Thanks in advance!

ok so now the idle is a bit better but tps for some reason doesn't go below .6% when idling. I've done several calibrations and its working but I have no idea whats the issue. Now when I'm coming to a stop, rpms starts going from 1800-2200 or so until it reaches a normal idle and stabilizes. I'm gonna attach the new map since i tuned idle with the idle ignition off first then open loop the closed loop. I'm up to the point that I just don't want to drive the car anymore. Like I said before I'm no expert but tuning an idle for this car shouldn't be so damn complicated :(. I'm gonna leave a mod list since the car is mildly modified.

Engine 

stock crank, manley turbo tuff 156mm rods, diamond custom pistons 9:1 cr

S3 cams, kiggly springs, ferrea valves, unported head 

skunk 2 intake  manifold, S90 74mm throttle

1700X ID injectors, dual 450lph pumps one is constant the other is turning on by inj duty cycle -8 feed, -6 return

custom exhaust manifold twin scroll with a 6870 

5" inter-cooler

current map.pclrLog 2019-10-14 11;26;41 am.llgLog 2019-10-14 10;51;34 am.llgLog 2019-10-14 10;35;10 am.llg

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go Adam, log with overrun off and close loop lambda off.

Log 2019-10-27 1;54;54 pm.llg

5 hours ago, remski2 said:

Assuming your base "idle igntion" is 10deg...

Your Idle ignition table seems wrong. 

It uses actual degrees and does not substract from main ignition table.

2019-10-29 16_48_15-PCLink Engine Management - C__Users_Remski_Desktop_Downloads_1999029005_currentm.png

that doesn't seem like my idle ign table.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, Grant Baker said:

Have you rolled forward to the latest firmware?

yes

4 hours ago, Luis Lopez said:

Here you go Adam, log with overrun off and close loop lambda off.

Its not much of a log but it doesnt look to far off working now.

A couple of suggestions:

In the idle control settings, chjange the AP/TP lockout to 1%.  

Fix the ignition table and the idle ignition table.  Remski's idle ign table above is what I would expect to typically see.  

For the ignition table I would expect to see numbers around 10deg in the area I have marked pink, and 30-40deg in the area I have marked green (with some blend in between these areas and the surounding cells).

L3iu3pe.png

8 hours ago, remski2 said:

I gave you those values to use

Ahhh ok thanks I’ll try them today and let you know. 

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

A couple of suggestions:

Fix the ignition table and the idle ignition table.  Remski's idle ign table above is what I would expect to typically see.  

For the ignition table I would expect to see numbers around 10deg in the area I have marked pink, and 30-40deg in the area I have marked green (with some blend in between these areas and the surounding cells).

L3iu3pe.png

I’ll do that Adamw, the reason those values are all messed up is I tried to idle the car with the idle control off and with 10 degrees of timing the car would idle at almost 2k don’t know why though

18 hours ago, Luis Lopez said:

with 10 degrees of timing the car would idle at almost 2k don’t know why though

That suggests the idle valve is not working or the base position table is not correct.  If you put it in open loop made and adjust the idle base position does the idle speed change?

On 10/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, Adamw said:

A couple of suggestions:

L3iu3pe.png

Regarding the ignition table, the cells from 0 kpa and lower, are way off... I would copy the base map table and fine tune from there. (0 kpa to -20 kpa @ 4000 rpm to 5000rpm look decent)

5 hours ago, bsh said:

Regarding the ignition table, the cells from 0 kpa and lower, are way off... I would copy the base map table and fine tune from there. (0 kpa to -20 kpa @ 4000 rpm to 5000rpm look decent)

No yeah I’m just trying to tune the idle first. I’m going to order a set of Nerdtuning knock detection headset. And tune from there 

Hi guys, manage to make a log car feels a lot better now. I've switch to ID2000cc injectors made the ignition idle table changes suggest it and feels waaay better. Here is a log and the map. Feel free to comment any errors since I'm just learning this stuff, no I won't get butthurt lol.

current map.pclr

I can't upload the log since is too big let me try to compress it 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtjxNOJ9acE8gRNw5O52GpPAgJ-X?e=kEqRnX