Fuel Pump Control for dummies

Wuppet

Folks,

Hoping for assistance - My vehicle is suffering from dramatic fuel overheating and Im trying to figure out best way to limit such.

From instructions it would appear that a closed loop fuel pump control based on pressure would be the way to go, just got no idea how.

Fuel Pump is an intank version of the aeromotive a1000 - currently setup with regulator and return. - motor currently naturally aspirated/port injected 500cube hemi, soon to be boosted.

Can anyone assist with advice as to how to go about this?  I have NFI and have looked at a heap of other posts and just cant make sense of them.

If I need an  external pump controller, which one should I use?

and how should I wire it and configure ecu to control it?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

What is causing the "dramatic fuel overheating"?  We have never come across this problem and use return fuel systems regularly on many different cars up to 900 HP without any issues. 

The first thing I would look at is putting a temperature sensor in the return line away from the engine to measure what the actual fuel temperature is.  Then you will know how big the problem is and work out how to mitigate against it.  A returnless system may be the way forward but will not solve the problem on its own (if your fuel temperatures are actually that high)

Closed loop fuel pump control is not as simple to setup as a standard regulated return system and can cause more problems than it solves if not implemented correctly.  

If it turns out that closed loop is the only way to solve the issue then there are a few solutions, the cheapest of which is probably an OEM controller such as a 9D372 which is used on a lot of Fords, Range Rovers and Jags.  You will also need a pressure sensor near the fuel rail to give the ECU feedback for its control system.  

You could also implement an open loop system using these controllers which when set up correctly (with a standard regulator return fuel system) can dramatically reduce the amount of excess fuel pumped around the system.

image.png.5c4c45ba734b1b5c60b953212357d83a.png

HTH,

Richard.

How do you know its a fuel overheating problem, what tests have you run? Unless you are running very high pressures and amperage at the pump you typically see more heat picked up by the fuel in the rails (next to the hot engine) than you do in the pump anyway so there is a good chance you dont take away the biggest heat source by moving to returnless. If you are sure you have fuel heating issues, have you checked for other likely sources - exhaust running near the fuel line maybe. There have been a couple blogs or videos by guys who have put half a dozen temp sensors at various points in the fuel lines to prove where major sources of heat are in a fuel system - ask google and see what turns up.

Its likely to be easier to put a fuel cooler on the return line and fix the symptom rather than the problem, especially if you arent 100% sure that the pump is the source of your fuel heating.

Fuel pump heating the fuel is a myth in my experience.  My injector flow bench has 2x 044's in about a 10 lire tank and I only get about 5 degrees increase over a couple of hours.  

Say if your pump pulls 10A, that is only ~140watts, DC motors are about 80% efficient and vane pumps are up in that ball park too, so you may have something like 50watts of heat produced by the pump, most of it will be radiated off the large surface area tank etc.

Also, see this one:

I agree with Adam on this one. I've run injectors at high pressure for ages on a test rig and the increase is bugger all. I found insulating the fuel rails and lines in the engine bay give more of result than slowing down fuel flow. I'm even running phenolic fuel rail spacers to help. 

What suit of fuel temps are you seeing? 

Folks,

Thank you for advice, believe i will take a different course. 

Haven't got temp sensor on to know how hot,  but hot enough that can't touch lines and could hear fuel bubbling in tank,  i assume boiling.  

Main issue is underbonnet heat and location of fuel lines running close to headers,  cannot see that i can relocate fuel lines which are already wrapped so will investigate wrapping headers.  May need to introduce so sort of chiller as well. 

Problem has really only presented on insanely hot days on long run,  so not major issue