Toyota 1zz Knock frequency help?

thetyrant

Short story im building a turbo mk3 MR2 roadster with the stock Toyota 1zz motor, ive bought a turbo kit which came with a pre-mapped G4+ storm and ive now installed that into my car and working on getting it all up and running NA with stock injectors (was on 460cc with turbo kit on previous car but they are not well matched set after testing so bought new ones) once im happy all this is good i will fit new larger Bosch injectors  and tune to suit, when im happy with the NA setup i will fit the turbo kit and tune accordingly.

Reason for this post is im wondering what knock frequency i need to use on the 1zz motor and what others have found works well ?   current map on ecu (supposedly done by a pro who are meant to know what they are doing)  has it set at 6hz but going my calculations using bore size (79mm on this motor) it should be 7.3hz so nearest on the Link Storm being 7hz ?

Ive done a couple of short logs on the 6hz setting and it does pick up a fair bit of noise but not sure how accurate it is, due to location of inlet manifold its difficult to connect my old copper pipe/stethoscope to listen for knock with my ears so relying on the knock sensor at moment.

Any help welcome :D

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 12:24 AM, thetyrant said:

Short story im building a turbo mk3 MR2 roadster with the stock Toyota 1zz motor, ive bought a turbo kit which came with a pre-mapped G4+ storm and ive now installed that into my car and working on getting it all up and running NA with stock injectors (was on 460cc with turbo kit on previous car but they are not well matched set after testing so bought new ones) once im happy all this is good i will fit new larger Bosch injectors  and tune to suit, when im happy with the NA setup i will fit the turbo kit and tune accordingly.

Reason for this post is im wondering what knock frequency i need to use on the 1zz motor and what others have found works well ?   current map on ecu (supposedly done by a pro who are meant to know what they are doing)  has it set at 6hz but going my calculations using bore size (79mm on this motor) it should be 7.3hz so nearest on the Link Storm being 7hz ?

Ive done a couple of short logs on the 6hz setting and it does pick up a fair bit of noise but not sure how accurate it is, due to location of inlet manifold its difficult to connect my old copper pipe/stethoscope to listen for knock with my ears so relying on the knock sensor at moment.

Any help welcome :D

Hey there, I'm running the same knock sensors you have on my 1JZ but was unsure what frequency to set for them, what did you end up settling with? 

Thanks for your help :)

-Nick

Ive set it at 7hz narrowband using stock 1zz sensor and seems to works pretty well on my 1zz MR2 4cylinder motor, yours being a1JZ is totally different engine though with 2 more cylinders as a start as well as different bore size so will most likely use a different frequency,  maybe have a search on here or start a post as im sure someone on here will have used a 1JZ motor on link ecu and be able to help further

5 hours ago, Sumbitchsubie said:

Hey there, I'm running the same knock sensors you have on my 1JZ but was unsure what frequency to set for them, what did you end up settling with? 

Thanks for your help :)

-Nick

Imagine you had your bare engine block, and you hit it with a big hammer. And it went doooooonnnnggggggggggggggggggg like a bell.
That's basically what knock does, and it's what you're listening for.
The size and shape of your engine block changes the noise that it will make. (Primarily bore size)
So it's not a case of setting it up based on what sensor you're using - it's about matching the sensor to your engine. As a knock sensor is basically just a type of microphone.

There's a good article on knock sensing here:

https://www.hpacademy.com/forum/webinar-questions/show/083-understanding-knock-1

13 hours ago, Davidv said:

Imagine you had your bare engine block, and you hit it with a big hammer. And it went doooooonnnnggggggggggggggggggg like a bell.
That's basically what knock does, and it's what you're listening for.
The size and shape of your engine block changes the noise that it will make. (Primarily bore size)
So it's not a case of setting it up based on what sensor you're using - it's about matching the sensor to your engine. As a knock sensor is basically just a type of microphone.

There's a good article on knock sensing here:

https://www.hpacademy.com/forum/webinar-questions/show/083-understanding-knock-1

Makes sense! Awesome thanks for the advice and for linking that article for me! Much appreciated!