Distributor instead of crank position sensor ?

murocmike

Just purchased a pair of e97 for my 6 cyl chevy 235 cu in straight 6 (61 Engine in a 49 Chevy wagon ) it comes with a long g4+ atom 2 a throttle position sensor on one of the throttle body injection units ,coolant sensor and o2 sensor and link wiring loom 

I wanted to go this route to keep a period look and don’t plan to use link Ecu to drive the ignition

question is is it possible to use a signal from the distributor pertronix module to trigger the fuel injection or do I need a crank sensor instead or as well

Its pretty difficult to get a clean signal off the primary side off an existing ignition system.  If it were me, I would change the guts inside the distributor to something more conventional and have the Link control the coil.  You get much better drivability with 3D computer controlled ignition compared to a 2D advance curve that only varies with RPM.

It wouldnt look any different from the outside - same coil, distributor etc.  It would just need an ignitor which could be hidden inside the car somewhere.

Hi Adam  what do you mean by conventional guts ? the Pertronix is a Hall effect unit but will give 6 signals per distributor revolution maybe I could get a reluctor with a single magnet to give signal for no 1 cyl only or should that be 2 magnets for tdc position ?

the ultimate plan is for the car to run the fuel injection for better drivability plan is to replace 3 speed column change manual transmission with a 700 r 4 auto box it will be used to tow race car 

cheers Mike

Hi- is the Pertronix dizzy a ready to run type like an MSD one or does it require an amplifier box such as a MSD6AL or equivalent ? If it requires an amplifier box then honestly it is so easy to set up the ignition side on the Atom . I have used an Atom G4+ on my Dodge V8 running a dizzy and can say im very happy with it . Certainly the ignition map is easier to set up and tune than the fuel IMO . :) 

10 hours ago, murocmike said:

the Pertronix is a Hall effect unit but will give 6 signals per distributor revolution maybe I could get a reluctor with a single magnet to give signal for no 1 cyl only or should that be 2 magnets for tdc position ?

The pertronix device is a trigger and ignitor all in one, it is designed to drive a high current coil directly rather than provide a nice clean signal to an ecu.  You cant reliably trigger the ECU from the coil as it sends out a very high voltage (200+V) spike with multiple "oscillations" after it.   I have helped someone make a Pertronix work as a trigger before by connecting a "dummy coil" (large resistor) but we found even once we had it producing a suitable trigger signal it gave very poor timing accuracy.  So I would really avoid using that if I could.

10 hours ago, murocmike said:

Hi Adam  what do you mean by conventional guts ?

Sorry, "guts" might be a NZ slang term - By this I mean "internals".   And what I mean by "conventional internals" is something that was originally designed to trigger an electronic ignition system.  Commonly this would be a VR, hall effect or optical trigger.  There is probably some later GM parts that will fit without much drama.  For instance here is a page describing how you can put a mopar "HEI" trigger (these are VR) into your original 235 dizzy:  http://devestechnet.com/Home/HEIgnition   Note we wouldnt use the HEI module - just the trigger part (toothed wheel and pickup).  With this mod, you would lock the advance mechanism inside the distributor, the distributor then sends engine position information to the ecu, the ECU triggers an ignitor which drives the coil.  The ECU then has full control over the ignition advance.  A crank trigger or after market distributor would be another option but may take away from your period look.

The advantage of ecu controlled ignition compared to old mechanical advance is great - it will generally make a far bigger difference to how the engine performs than the fuel injection side.  Especially older low compression engines you will find at light loads, cruising etc you will be able to push in something like 40deg advance for a noticeable gain in torque and economy.  The ecu will also be able to do stuff like idle ignition control to stabalise idle speed when you put the trans in gear etc.