HELP - Setup AEM CD7 Dash with Blinkers through BPM analogue to digital converter and Link G4+

Marvincd7

I've got a CD7 and need help to setup blinkers, engine warning lights, SRS, ABS etc. There is a BPM device that converts analogue  to digital signals as my car doesnt have CANBUS.

A custom dash template has been setup and I have a BPM document that shows the CAN data from the Motec device.

Help is needed by someone that knows how to setup the dash template to read the data from the Motec device.

Everything is setup and connected however my Tuner does not know the AEM software to do this part.

The Motec device is connected to Port 2.

Marvin-LinkG4+UpdatedV2Port2CAN.aemcd7 BPM EVO89 Dash CAN.pdf

You might be best to ask the AEM CD5/7 facebook groups. Quite a few knowledgeable people on there.

This forum is for Link G4+ Support, I don't think your Link ECU is the issue here.

What expander you using btw? E888? AEM lists the E888 as fully supported and tested and include a file on their website..

Ok, all the CAN is done, I havent added any of the new channels to displays or whatever but they should now be available.  I have kept all the channel names pretty much as per the BPM datasheet.

The only one that is a bit ambiguous is Fuel level.  He has used 2 bytes like it is expected to cover a large range of numbers but then says the range is only 0-53L.  Just one byte can do up to 255 and 2 Bytes is capable of 65000.  So I suspect he might be sending it as "0.1L" rather than whole Litres but that is not clear. If your fuel level says "500 Litres" when you have it all working then set the scalar to 0.1.

Marvin-LinkG4UpdatedV2Port2CAN Adam.aemcd7

Wow! Thanks Adam you are brilliant! I was so close to packing it up and switching to a different screen.

One last thing. How do I associate the icons to the CAN Channel?

Eg The SRS Light channel that is associated with the SRS Light CAN signal. Both of these you have setup. However on the screens  section the SRS Icon is called Airbag. It doesnt seem to be associated with the SRS Light information that you setup.  

Thanks Adam! That video is a godsend! Makes everything so clear!

Much appreciate your help!

@Adamw Turner has confirmed that your setup has pretty much worked! Its great news.

However there is an issue with the fuel. Regardless of any changes the tuner has made it is still showing as 00. Can you please have a look at this for me again and check its been setup correctly?

This is one of the most important readings as I dont want to run out of fuel on the streets.

Once again really appreciate your help.

Marvin-LinkG4+Updated_TestedOK_Benchmark03.aemcd7 BPM EVO89 Dash CAN.pdf

The CAN is all correct.  Is the fuel level voltage channel showing anything?

How does this device convert the fuel level sensor resistance to a voltage?  Does it have a pull-up resistor built-in?  If you put a multimeter on the fuel level sensor pin is there any voltage there?

Thanks for having a look Adam. Appreciate you checking it again.

I'm not really sure what my tuner has done but will send your questions across and see what he has to say.

The tuner is only using the Fuel Level input. The fuel Level Sensor Voltage is not being used.

• 3 weeks later...

@Adamw Hi I'm back and at the final stages of this dash.

Most things are working and we have come a long way thanks to your previous help.

However there are 2 issues still:

1) Cant get the odometer to work. It shows 89.52 and is stuck at that for some reason.

2) The fuel level which comes through as Volts and is converted to a %. The fuel sloshes around so the values move around a lot. Is there a way to 'dampen' this effect so there is a more consistent reading?

If you can assist with these issues that would be awesome. Attached is the template.

Cheers
Marvin

Marvin-LinkG4+Updated_TestedOK_Benchmark07.aemcd7

For the ODO function you have no speed input set, try it as below:

rmjKnCk.png

For the fuel level, you can try adding some filtering as below, unfortunately it only lets you average over a maximum of 5 seconds which Im not sure will be enough but give it a try.  Otherwise you will have to add a resistor/capacitor to the fuel level sensor wire.

x664sxw.png

Thanks Adam always a huge help!

I've setup the Input filter for the Fuel as suggested.

With the Odo I've setup as you have suggested. In the tool tip that pops up it says it wants the speed in km/s however the only option for me is km/h. Will this work? At the moment I'm unable to test as the car went to mechanics for a larger oil pan and to fix a busted accessory belt.

Odoscreenshot.thumb.jpg.b80b32643bebcdde47b3713b7efba4f0.jpg

Also is there a way to start the odo from a starting km? The car has 151000 km on it so I want to start around there so it is accurate record of the kms travelled.

Cheers
Marvin

20 hours ago, Marvincd7 said:

With the Odo I've setup as you have suggested. In the tool tip that pops up it says it wants the speed in km/s however the only option for me is km/h. Will this work? At the moment I'm unable to test as the car went to mechanics for a larger oil pan and to fix a busted accessory belt.

Just create a new channel scalled to km/s (multiply km/h by 0.000278)

caozENV.png

20 hours ago, Marvincd7 said:

Also is there a way to start the odo from a starting km? The car has 151000 km on it so I want to start around there so it is accurate record of the kms travelled.

From the AEM help file:

POIhXEp.png