1994 MX5 running on two cylinders.

drivefast

Hello.

I have a 1994 Mazda MX5 with the engine out of a 2004 NB MX5 (BPZ3 with VVT). I am using a Link G4+ MX5 ecu and can only get the car running on two cylinders. I am using the sensors that match the motor, my old motor used a CAS but on the new motor I have wired up a Crank angle sensor and a seperate cam sensor. I am also using a 36 -2 trigger wheel with the crank sensor. I've checked the mechanical timing over the motor 3 times and it's correct, but my trigger offset is 210 degrees. I can start the car with ease, but it will only run on 2 cylinders (1 and 3). If I take -360 out of the trigger offset and set it to -150 the car starts with ease, but runs on the other two cylinders (2 and 4). The ignition system is wasted spark, I was using the original coils from my car but have since upgraded to 4 x ls2 truck coils (still running wasted spark).

Any ideas? 

Also I have ran the ignition and injection tests and everything appears to be fine in that regard.

That sounds to me like you have the coils wired in the wrong pairs.  Coil for cyl 1 & 4 should be wired to ign 1 drive and coil 2 & 3 should be wired to ign 2.   You can use the ignition test function to manually check the correct coils are sparking when you test ign 1/2.

Otherwise if that looks correct then as Richard says, attach your map and a log.