Spartan ADV3 configuration

shrnprwn

Hello forum people!

I seem to be having some issues getting my Spartan ADV3 to provide lambda values over CAN to my bmw e36 g4+ plug and play.

Ive followed the config instructions that come with the spartan, I've even flashed the latest firmware onto the controller and tried it in the default mode (I assume it arrived in its default Spartan mode) and in Link mode. The CAN section of the runtime values are all green, and nothing is showing up in the Fuel section. I'm not 100% sure if there is any more configuration to be done in PcLink to display the Lambda values over CAN?

The Spartan unit is already a replacement for a faulty one; it would be great if I can get this one working, I'm a bit over faulty parts tbh.

I've posted my current PcLink setup. Please excuse any other setting in there that aren't correct, I haven't got to everything else yet.

Cheers!!

runtimes.png

test.pclr

No I didn't try 1024 in link mode so I'll give that a go tomorrow and get some photos of my connection. A lot of it is temperary just to check it all works before I tuck it all away.

Also I'm not too sure how to "apply" that stream you attached either.

Thanks for the replys though guys

Right, now I've tried the stream suggested by Richard, checked the can IDs match, done a factory reset on the Spartan back to the default mode (for which the can ID is NOT 950 its 1024 so the instructions seem wrong), and quadruple checked the wiring and that's all good.
So now I'm at a loss. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard and maybe there are plenty of faulty units out there?

I've attached some photos of my temperary wiring for checking.

IMG_20191205_104701.jpg

IMG_20191205_104717.jpg

Cant tell from your photos - does the white wire at the ecu end connect to the brown wire at the spartan end, and the green wire connects to the spartan white?

9 hours ago, shrnprwn said:

for which the can ID is NOT 950 its 1024 so the instructions seem wrong

The instructions are for a spartan configured in the "Link mode" which is the suggested method as it gives more failsafes. The spartan used to default to ID 950 when set to link mode but it looks like he's made a few changes lately so I dont know it that has changed or not.  

Yes that's correct, white wire at link end is CAN HI, and the brown CAN HI wire on the Spartan end is connected to it.
I'll try set the IDs to 950 fore one last try, then I'm requesting refund.

Unless someone can spot something wrong.

2 hours ago, shrnprwn said:

I'll try set the IDs to 950 fore one last try, then I'm requesting refund.

Unless someone can spot something wrong.

If you are using the drop down CAN Lambda mode then the ID must be 950, PC Link will ignore any changes to the ID.

OK I got it working.
For anyone else using these I got it working by logging in using serial bluetooth and changing the mode to Link mode, then changing the CAN ID to 950.

Only then will the Link ecu pick it up.

Thanks a bunch for all your help everybody.

• 2 years later...

Bringing back an old topic in the hope that someone can help with the serial configuration of Spartan 3 ADV (I think these new versions do not have Bluetooth any more).

I just received my device and I am trying to connect to it through USB. Installed Termite and connected to the device, but whatever command I issue, there is no reply on the serial terminal. When I hit enter in Termite, there is a red led that lights up for a moment, so I assume the command is sent to Spartan, but nothing coming back. I tried it by only plugging in the USB cable and also powering it up via pin 1 and 2. No sensor is connected at this time, since I am just trying to verify (and potentially set) the settings of the device on my bench.

From the past I know FTDI chips might be problematic to work with as a user, so I updated the driver as well to the latest and tried this with two different laptops with no success.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Béla

10 hours ago, Adamw said:

I think you will be in bootloader mode if you dont have pin 4 grounded.  From the manual:

uvyto6i.png

Thanks Adam. As per the manual if it is in bootloader mode, then there should be a solid green LED, which is not the case for me.

But that is definitely a good point. I 'll give it a try.