Intermittent trigger signal

rocklizzard91

Alright guys, posted a while back asking about what I thought was a flooding issue for restarts after the car has sat a while (but still hot). I have a running trigger scope (photo #1) from my Link G4+ and a trigger scope for when it wont start (photo #2).

The odd thing is that if I just start the car and idle warm up without driving when the water hit 176F (only verified temp once today) it shut off and started doing the same thing it does when I have my slightly cooled hot starts. I pulled the brand new plugs I put in tonight and saw they dont look wet and the AFR was fine when idling. I do notice in that no start trigger scope I have normal crank trigger plots but NO cam trigger is registering. But it does register just fine at operating temp.

Does my running trigger scope look normal?

Could this reluctor cam sensor have some kind of issue when it gets some heat into it? Has anyone seen anything like that or have any ideas why I have a random cam trigger issue? If I'm driving the car it doesnt have any trigger issues.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Thats a good catch.  This suggests your problem is either a failing cam sensor or a bad connection in its wiring somewhere.

Once the engine is running, the ecu is smart enough to keep track of engine position using only the crank sensor so will actually keep running happily even if the cam sensor "disappears" intermittently, so you wouldnt notice if this was happening during normal running.  But for starting the cam signal is needed to synchronize and the engine wont be able to start without it, so this why the problem is probably only noticeable during start up.

Give the wiring a good visual and tug the crimps etc.  If that looks ok then it would be worth trying another sensor.  This would be the sensor that is at the front top of the left cyl head.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice!

I swapped out the cam sensor last week and so far *knock on wood!* it seem like the issue is resolved! The trigger 2 plot looks even better and has less noise when zoomed in between the 2 pairs. It also does seem to idle better as well. Just wanted to post up that the issue was resolved for anyone who might find this later!