3sgte trigger error? 4 days of misery mystery no start

Chris Simms

Make sure problem #1 is fixed before moving onto #2 here. The previous few messages talked about trigger errors and arming thresholds, have you got that under control now? If that is still an issue, your calibration will not be reliable.

Hypothetically... if you have 24 teeth, but for whatever reason the ECU is seeing 25 teeth some of the time (bad wiring, bad sensor, air gap, noise, bent bits on the trigger wheel, misconfigured tooth count in ECU, anything), then it doesnt matter how carefully you follow the calibration process, as you are working with bad data. 

If you physcially have 24 teeth on 1x wheel and 1x on the other, and you configure this in the ECU, you should be able to crank it (ign+injectors off) and see a reliable 150-200rpm with no spikes or error count. Until you get to this point, there isnt any point trying to run the calibration process as that "25th" tooth will cause it to fire 15 degrees off whenever it gets detected. 

Did you ever confirm the belt tooth count issue is correct? if its not, your cam would rotate 1/90th of 720 degrees more or less than it should and bad things would happen. I think 3sge's are non interference so you wouldnt get valve->piston contact but your timing will be impossible. set it to TDC and check both cam & crank mark. rotate it 3 or 4 full rotations until crank is TDC again. Check that that cam is also TDC still. If it is, your belt length is fine.

[edit] Thinking about the tooth count thing, its not going to matter. If the belt fits with the timing marks correct, it will be fine. Tooth count on the cam & crank wheels is the only thing that matter as far as crank vs cam rotation lining up .the extra tooth on the belt just means more or less slack for the tensioner to pick up.

Hey Ducie/CJ

Thanks for the replies.

Soon as i get a shift off work Ducie ill download the viewer and you can have a look for me. Thanks again.

Think your right CJ. Im getting no trigger errors anymore but would explain ALOT

Just had the dizzy off, plugs out. With NO piston at TDC he cams, crank and rotor all line up perfectectly. Also checked the order of the leads. Simon suggested the rotor might be on backwards after having the dizzy off but if all checks out. Got a day off sun so gonna play with some filters and try G2 instead of G1 for trigger 2 because according to the workshop manual i found out yesterday G2 IS the correct one.

One thing i DID notice was a bit of condensation inside the dizzy cap. Sorted that.

My emails [email protected] if anyones got time over the weekend to have a look at my logs i can just send em straight over. Wont let me upload em on here still.

You guys are INVALUABLE. Asked 2 local garages for help but no one will touch it/help me/understands standalones, so i appreciate your time/the lifeline yet again through your help and replies.

Saga contiues. 

Thanks again

Chris