Running Rich

Steve Bull

I have a 1uz VVTI  turbo running the old link g4 xtreme ecu. The car was running fine this time last year and I slowly stated to sort out the fuelling as the weeks went on.  Then for the first 6 month this year as i couldn't drive started to sorting other issues with the car out. Now the with new plugs and fuel the thing runs rich on tickover. Infact the whole map is wrong.

You can get the tick over smooth and AFR is right but the numbers in the fuel cell of the map are a lot lower.    Then when the car at a higher rpm slowing down it will die as theres such a big difference between the numbers in each of the map cells. eg tick over 10 and 1500 rpm 35. but hit 1200 rpm at it stops.

Ive not touched anything fuel or ignition side and the map hasn't been changed any ideas what could cause this. 

fuel runs at 3 bar, the fuel regulator will lower it slightly at tick over but non fuel system was touched.  

The pipe on the MAP sensor is fine and the ecu read the change in pressurise even if you suck/blow on the pipe.  

ill see if i have a new lambda sensor might even look into getting a new controller.

The throttle is calibrated.

• 1 month later...

Ill up load the logs. 

Had it running the other day still all over the place, when i looked over the logs i couldn't see anything  that might cause the issue. the only time ive had issues was when the TSP wires cane loose and the other when the old MAP sensor gave a spike (200kpa) causing it to over fuel and kill the engine. Admittedly it took ages to find out why the engine just randomly cut out but on the logs, just for a millisecond, you saw the massive reading.   

The only thing that changes around the same rev range is the cam sensors, going from not enough signal (below 900 RPM) to Ok (at 1100 RPM)

where in the UK do we send the ECU's for a checkup/repair.

Comparison of recent logs to old ones the only  differance was the voltage the ecu saw. When the car was running Ok the ecu showed 13.3v but now on tick over it was showing 11 volts but when the car was 1500rpm it could be as much  as 16v. When in reality it was 13.3v.

So the ecu was using the injector dead adjustment and  altering the injection period. SO at low revs it was getting way to much fuel but less over 1500rpm.  As a result the fuel cell at 1000 and 1500 rpm were 4 and 40. which ment the car ran poorly and staled.

With the injector dead adjustments all set to the same value the engine runs smoothly with a decent  tick over and a good AFR reading. 

All the earths seem fine, i can't seem to find out why the ecu is seeing/registering the wrong voltages. Its not just battery voltage all the  sensors voltages are incorrect. The wideband on the log showed a range from 8 to 20, when my wideband only has a range of 8.5 to 18. theres some anomalies with the PWM as well.

Any ideas is it worth sending it for a check up

• 2 weeks later...

The ECU was checked and was as good as the day it was made, testiment to Links build quality . I now have an earth directly back to the battery.

Hopefully the issue has been found, the two main power  wires into the ecu had no volts going to them. Both wires had gone open circuit. Somehow the ecu still ran without any power, one reason i never checked them.