SupraLink Ecu in BMW e46

JayKay

Hi, 

Currently I have a Supralink ecu powering my 2jz BMW e46. To get around a few issues I run a AIM MXS dash instead of the stock cluster.

I have only just realised that the BMW Mini Canbus this ecu outputs is very similar to an e46 canbus stream and as such will power my dash cluster while also enabling me to have my climate control working again. 

I would like to keep my AIM Dash though as it shows my fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost etc etc

Can I run two canbus signals at the same time? Im sure the plug and play ecus are based off a xtreme ecu which has the ability to do so? But im struggling to find where the other canbus wires are based off the supralink wiring diagrams.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

James

On the plugins the CAN comes off on dedicated ports. To have two can channels you will need a 1.2 revision bottom board. 

On this version you will see there are two connectors labeled for CAN.

Alternatively you can have more than one device on a bus they just need to use the same coms speed and have different IDs 

7 hours ago, Simon said:

On the plugins the CAN comes off on dedicated ports. To have two can channels you will need a 1.2 revision bottom board. 

On this version you will see there are two connectors labeled for CAN.

Alternatively you can have more than one device on a bus they just need to use the same coms speed and have different IDs 

Thank you for your reply simon.

If I was to wire in the the cars canbus I guess I would use the digi dash and link ecu to terminate both ends of the can bus and just t in the cars (e46) canbus someway along those pairs can bus connection wires?

Assuming you have the later board with the two CAN sockets then the best option would be to keep them on separate buses.  This is because you cant assign an OEM CAN stream and the dash CAN stream to the same port in the software.  So the Dash only connected direct to one CAN port on the ECU - no termination required as both the ECU and dash have them built-in.  The 2nd ECU CAN port just "taps" onto the existing BMW CAN wires somewhere, again no external termination required.   

If you dont have the later board with the 2 CAN buses then we can still make both work - it will just need to all be set up as custom streams rather than the pre-configured ones.

Use the Mini CAN stream to check things are working initially then sing out if anything you need doesnt work, I have a much more complete M3 E46 CAN set up I can give you to run most of it.

Brilliant sounds promising. I shall check this weekend to see if I have the later later board. 

That would be great if you can as the car is a BMW M3 E46 so if it allows the oil temp on the dash to work that would be even better. 

Thank you for your replies

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, Adamw said:

Assuming you have the later board with the two CAN sockets then the best option would be to keep them on separate buses.  This is because you cant assign an OEM CAN stream and the dash CAN stream to the same port in the software.  So the Dash only connected direct to one CAN port on the ECU - no termination required as both the ECU and dash have them built-in.  The 2nd ECU CAN port just "taps" onto the existing BMW CAN wires somewhere, again no external termination required.   

If you dont have the later board with the 2 CAN buses then we can still make both work - it will just need to all be set up as custom streams rather than the pre-configured ones.

Use the Mini CAN stream to check things are working initially then sing out if anything you need doesnt work, I have a much more complete M3 E46 CAN set up I can give you to run most of it.

Hi Adam, 

Wired in the canbus into the link ecu and it works lovely now. Dash is showing rpm and engine temps along with climate control is working.

Next up is trying to get the gear detection to work. 

How do I see the speed inputs from the canbus?