No spark on Atom II

Funwithmonkeys

Your battery voltage is only 10.3V under cranking, can we do better?  I've had plenty a car which showed a big voltage drop under cranking even though the starter motor itself ran fine.  I might suggest, if you can't improve this with a booster of some sort, temporarily power the ECU off an external battery, just to see.

Have you confirmed with a light or a scope you're getting an injector pulse?  Because according to this data, it sure looks likes its commanding the outputs, though I could be missing something.

-Neel

4 hours ago, Funwithmonkeys said:

Would a timing light work for checking if I am getting an injector pulse?

Not usually.  A quick test you you can do to make it more obvious if there is fuel is temporarily set the engine capacity to 10000cc, then you will get a good long injector pulse and the spark plugs should get wet quickly.

As Neel says it appears the ECU is commanding a spark and inj pulse and all variables look typical.  Are you sure there is still +12V at the injector and coils during cranking?  I have seen some guys caught before where a relay is wired to an ACC circuit that switches off during cranking.  I dont think the battery voltage is a problem - The ECU is ok to a bit below 7V and most coils and injectors will still work down to about that also.

Ok so I went through and wired the ECU, injector power and coil power to a relay controlled by a switch and hooked it up to a 35A power supply. I can confirm spark and injector pulse. Timing light shows spark on all cylinders and I used a piece of paper towel to confirm fuel being injected into each throttle body. 

Now it does "cough" every once and a while but it sounds like the timing is very far out. I do not even see the timing mark on the balancer when cranking. Is there a procedure to go through to set up the timing correctly? I am using the onesix industries crank/cam sensor. 

45 minutes ago, Funwithmonkeys said:

Is there a procedure to go through to set up the timing correctly?

I'm not sure where you're from brother, but where i am from an appropriate response might be:  Does a bear shit in the woods?  ^_^

In my opinion Timing calibration and setup is one of the MOST important parts of setting up a new ECU.  I always run through the basic calibration procedure, even if its a plug in, even if I have a base map.  If I'm tuning a car setup by someone else, at the first sign of something being amiss, I check this.

I'd recommend you read the "Wiring Information > First Time Setup > Trigger Calibration" section of the Link Help file.  Try and understand the Trigger Setup, Trigger Offset and using the Trigger Scope functions, and then feel free to ask questions.

Since you have a base map that should match your trigger setup, you might want to post a "trigger scope capture" for us to make sure the polarity is correct.  Also make sure your injectors and ignitions are wired up in cylinder number order, not firing order.  Use the injector test and ignition test functions to verify this.

Cheers,

Neel Vasavada

Apex Speed Technology

33 minutes ago, Apex Speed Tech said:

you might want to post a "trigger scope capture" for us to make sure the polarity is correct.

The G4+ Atom doesn't have a triggerscope, only the storm upwards in the G4+ range.  RPM and dwell is stable in his cranking logs so that is a good indication it is correct - still a chance it is not but that's not going to stop it from running and higher RPM logs later will confirm.

The onesix industries trigger kit has no information on the trigger offset so you are on your own to find it.  Start by adjusting the offset in say steps of 30degs while cranking (make sure you hit enter and the number turns blue) until you see the timing mark, once you can see a mark then adjust in smaller steps.  Even once you have the offset adjusted so the timing marks align, it may still not run - if not it probably means you are firing on the exhaust stroke, so you then add or subtract 360 deg from your offset to make it fire on the compression stroke.  

14 minutes ago, Adamw said:

The G4+ Atom doesn't have a triggerscope, only the storm upwards in the G4+ range.  RPM and dwell is stable in his cranking logs so that is a good indication it is correct - still a chance it is not but that's not going to stop it from running and higher RPM logs later will confirm.

The onesix industries trigger kit has no information on the trigger offset so you are on your own to find it.  Start by adjusting the offset in say steps of 30degs while cranking (make sure you hit enter and the number turns blue) until you see the timing mark, once you can see a mark then adjust in smaller steps.  Even once you have the offset adjusted so the timing marks align, it may still not run - if not it probably means you are firing on the exhaust stroke, so you then add or subtract 360 deg from your offset to make it fire on the compression stroke.  

I am trying to do this but it shows the settings locked. I right clicked and tried to unlock but they just stay locked. 

Did you do this: 

31 minutes ago, Funwithmonkeys said:

(make sure you hit enter and the number turns blue)

4 minutes ago, Funwithmonkeys said:

but after clicking done nothing changes

You dont need to click done, I suggest you leave the set base timing screen open until you have finished adjusting.

21 hours ago, Funwithmonkeys said:

IT'S ALIVE! AFR is in a good range. I just need to toy with the timing a bit more to smooth it out but it runs. 

Thank you to the legends who helped me out. 

Happy to help, gives me something to do during this quarantine.  And Adam, thanks for letting me play "tech support dude" in your sandbox!

-Neel