Trigger input connections to AEM EPM

Kurt_XK

I have a G4+ Fury that I am using to run a Jaguar XK engine. (Straight 6, double overhead cam).  I am using an AEM Engine Position Module (puck) to replace the distributor. https://www.aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-3250 Engine Position Module Puck.pdf  

My question is concerning how to wire the EPM to the Fury. The EPM utilizes 4 wires: A 12V switched power, "Crank", "CAM" and a ground.   

My instinct would be to wire Trigger 1 to Crank, Trigger 2 to Cam, and use the +8V fed from the ECU to power the EPM. But that is where my instincts run out.

The trigger inputs come in the form of shielded (black and Gray) trigger input cables which contain two wires plus shielding. I am posting this because it is unclear to me how to wire up the additional wires.   I have pinned out the black and red wires, from the "A" Loom but am unsure about the white wires, and if they are the ground connections?  How should I terminate the white wires contained in the bundle?  

Also, does the shielding need to be grounded or terminated?  Or does it just need to be heat-shrinked? 

Appreciate the assitance

The Link black wire (trigger 1) goes to AEM crank.  The Link Red wire goes to AEM Cam.  You can use either one of the trigger1/2 white wires in the sheilded cables as sensor ground, leave the other one disconnected or cut it off.  You will have to add your own wire for the power supply.  Although I expect the 8V should be fine, since AEM state 12V, I would probably suggest you get that from some other ign switched 12V supply in the car - coil or injector relay for instance.

• 4 weeks later...

Could it I wired everything as described above and the ECU was recognizing the AEM engine position sensor, I was able to watch the triggers activate on the screen. 

After about of a week sitting I returned to the car, cranked it over and no inputs were found on the ecu.  Jiggling wires, ensuring power etc. I havent been able to generate a signal. Could it be that some of my settings got screwed up? 

15813731196267263122135999531709.jpg

I would have normally expected the pull-ups to be turned on, so that is the first thing I would suggest (both trig 1 & 2).  

Also it looks like your trigger settings are wrong.

Trigger mode should be multitooth (it looks like you have it set to multitooth/missing).  Trig 1 multitooth position should be Cam with a tooth count of 24.  Trig 2 settings look ok. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have been unable to make any real progress since my last post. I have adjusted the settings as described above multiple times and the Trig1 Arming(V)  and Trig2 Arming(V) remain constant, regardless if the puck is plugged in or not.  I suspect that there may be an issue with the puck. I contacted AEM for help with troubleshooting, and we determined the next step would be to send it in for diagnosis/repair etc.  This is will end up costing me a great deal of time. 

I really want to be sure that I have exhausted all lines of effort before sending this part off. Is there a way to perform an input test to the triggers, Just to rule out a wiring or LINK issue? 

(Also, the faults shown on the last screen capture were cleared and have not returned) 

In Opto/hall mode the arming voltage is not applicable as this applies only to reluctor sensors. 

The ECU is looking for a 0-5V square wave. You could check for this by turning the motor over by hand and see if you can see the voltage changing on the two trigger inputs with a volt meter. The change in voltage should then match teeth positions as they pass the pickup.