Bleutooth connected to RS232 can1

Angelo/E30M3-M50B28T-E36+

Hi guys,

i connected an HC-06 to RS232 RX-TX on my e36+ PNP but couldn't connect to it on pc link does anyone know what voltage does RX-TX of the can 1 work on and is it possible to connect to pc link through that , should i change any parameters on the ECU ?

as i understood that that can port can be used for tunning but it dosen't seem to work with me

any help is appreciated,

i had experience on this before on megasquirt1-2-3 and it was quite straight forward connect the pins and it ran directly  so i know the bleutooth module is working correctly and it is setup at 115200Baud, com ports and everything are chosen respectivly from pc link

the object of this is a cheap hidden low power solution inside the ECU and nothing connected to it just like megasquirt without any expensive good for nothing dongles and ethernet and usb stuff hanging outside the ecu...

kind regards,

The RS232 signal is +/-10V.

I've never tried any bluetooth devices but many bluetooth/serial devices dont work as a totally transparent "wired" connection, they often need the ecu or PC software to send some type of additional initialization command.  

I believe also some have too much latency for the initialization messages between PCLink/ECU to succeed.  

The only advice I have is make sure PC Link is set up for the matching baud, try ticking the "slow connection" checkbox and make sure there is no USB cable attached to the normal tuning port.  Otherwise check the documentation for the device to see if there is a way to enable a transparent mode.

Im running 115200 baud on both with slow connection ticked and i had lowered the 10v rs232 to a 3.3v with a divider and no usb connectiond were made during that stilll it didn't work,

After that i loged onto hercules and opened the port manually so that i check if pc link is trying to open that port and yes it seems it takes that port and opens it but nothing hapens

On megasquirt the bleutooth connection was faster then the wired serial and more stable thats why i prefer it and its also easy to handle

15 hours ago, Angelo/E30M3-M50B28T-E36+ said:

and i had lowered the 10v rs232 to a 3.3v with a divider

I dont think that will work if your device is using TTL, TTL uses 0V for a binary 0, 3.3V for a 1.  RS232 is -10V for 1, +10V for 0.  i.e you not only need to reduce the voltage but you also need to offset it below zero and invert it.  This is typically done with something like a MAX3232 IC. 

15 hours ago, Angelo/E30M3-M50B28T-E36+ said:

On megasquirt the bleutooth connection was faster then the wired serial and more stable thats why i prefer it and its also easy to handle

When I worked at Link the engineers were experimenting with Bluetooth for sometime and they said it was really only useful for a dash type app, it was way too slow for PCLink to be useful.  I suspect there is much more data moving between the PC/ECU than the very basic megasquirt.