Honda NSX C30A trigger

juliusge

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, Scott C said:

Honda NSX manual 24tooth.pclr 139.32 kB · 7 downloads

I have this cal you can use for reference

hi scott, i managed to turn on the engine, check the timing it showing to much timing, lower the crank refference down to -27 then i get 0 exact timing. i'm using crank A as trigger1 and cyl A as trigger2.

however, engine sounds retarded, if i'm back with the setup given which 0 crank refference, engine sounds normal if rev it up but the timing was 27btdc.

are we suppose to wire it to crank B and cyl B?

What kind of timming light do you use ? 

There are some that have a built in advance that allows to show 0 at 10° for engine with only tdc marking.

When you say you have exactly 0° on the crank pulley, what was the igntition advance used by the ecu ? 

Hard to put pieces together with these info.

Do you have different angles marked on the pulley or only tdc marking ? 

7 minutes ago, dx4picco said:

What kind of timming light do you use ? 

There are some that have a built in advance that allows to show 0 at 10° for engine with only tdc marking.

When you say you have exactly 0° on the crank pulley, what was the igntition advance used by the ecu ? 

Hard to put pieces together with these info.

Do you have different angles marked on the pulley or only tdc marking ? 

hi dx4picco,

i'm using innova equus advance timing light, panasonic timing light & cheap trisco timing light.

inoova equus yes we can adjust advance retard. those 3 lights are accurate showing 0 mark on -27 offset.

Honda engines usually have 4 timing marks , one (if still got colour its white) 0 mark then 14 then 15 (usually mark red colour) the 16 deg.

scott gave me base set  up with 0 crank refference offset, i have to change down the refference to -27deg  to get 0 mark.

i wire triggers to crank a and cyl a, the engine start , running and idle fine but hesitate to rev up like retarded timing, now will try to wire to crank b and cyl b and see what happened.

nsx picup trigger.JPG

There could be a couple of possibilities going on here.  Can you please do this:

With the "set base timing screen" open and engine running, set the "lock timing to" box to 15deg. Then with your timing light check that the 15deg mark on the pulley lines up.  If it doesnt line up then adjust the middle "offset" number until it does.   Now with the set base timing screen still open, rev the engine to say 4000RPM, check that the the 15deg mark on pulley is still aligned well.  If you see any the timing mark has moved more than 1 or 2 deg away from 15 mark when you rev it then there is some problem with the trigger or ignition settings. 

Report back if timing stays steady at 15 or moves when you rev it and I will advise next steps to diagnose.