Attempting to start after upgrading intake, injectors and coils

tiago

Hi all, just finish an intake swap on my 1999 Sti and I'm trying the first start.

I'm using the 2005 intake and the major differences are the ISC Solenoid, fuel injectors (sti top feed pink) and the individual coils.
Did a try today but no success.

I'm seeing a log or Trigger Errors, not sure if it could be my problem or would be something else.

What I did was merge my current configuration with the Subaru V7 Base map. I thought that changing the fuel injector and coil configuration would be enough to start the engine with the new mods.

Any clue?

Trigger Scope.jpg

lilnk.PNG

Log 2020-02-17 2;09;37 pm - 5.llg Subaru 99 Type RA - New Intake.pclr

On 2/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, Simon said:

Your trig 1 and 2 inputs need to be swapped over. The 4 way dip switch on the board does this. You just need to reverse the positions. 

Thank you Simon, it worked!!!

The engine started but looks like some cylinder is not working properly. If I give some gas the rpm is not going up easily.
Since the coils wiring is new, what would be the best way to test if everything is working properly?
Can I check the ignition status from the logs? Or best way to confirm it is to removing the coils and checking for the spark.

You could perform a visual test and know that it works for sure.

Remove the coil pack from the engine, attach a spark plug to it, ground the plug onto the engine (rest the plug threads on the intake manifold or somewhere on the block so that it can be grounded just as it would be if installed in the head), then run an "ignition test" through the ECU software, turning on one cylinder at a time. The ECU will then fire whatever cylinder you want repeatedly until you turn off the cylinder. When you turn on a cylinder, simply go over to the engine bay to visually confirm that it is firing.

I did the tests and found that 2 cylinders was wrong.

Changed the wires and now it's way better. The idle is pretty high tho. Probably because of the new bigger injectors.

I played a little with the main fuel value but was not able to get a significant result.

Next goal is to make the car driveable  to be able to drive to the dyno.

Last Log: (too big to attach it here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqacslelb48zcno/Log 2020-02-20 7%3B10%3B32 pm.llg?dl=0

On 2/20/2020 at 11:18 PM, Adamw said:

Can you attach your tune also.  Does the idle speed drop to an acceptable RPM if you unplug the idle valve?

Hi Adamw, I noted that the ISC was set to be opened 100% at all time.
After adjusting it the idle is way better but now it's reading very lean when the rpm goes up. Tried to increase the master fuel but did not help.

Log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/80jup0dlbn83dai/Log 2020-02-23 6%3B28%3B20 pm.llg?dl=0

Subaru 99 Type RA - New Intake.pclr

I would be suspicious that your wideband is not working correctly, maybe a failed sensor.  In some areas it just flat lines at a constant 1.289 and in many areas it responds leaner when the injector pulsewidth in increased and richer when the PW is decreased.  The only time it looks like it is working correctly - or at least showing normal response to other variables is between about 0:30 and 1:14

On 2/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, remski2 said:

2nd thing.. you never leave the post start enrichment. 

Log shows 5 mins your ECT peaks at 50F. 

I get 160F around 5 min mark. 

Seems like your ECT sensor is plugged in somewhere else.

2020-02-25 12_19_26-PCLink Engine Management - C__Users_Remski_Desktop_Downloads_1600526880_Subaru99.png

Thanks @remski2 you were correct.

My ECT and TPS had a bad ground. Fixed it and now is way better.

Looking at the last log I noticed that the MAP is reading ~5psi at idle. Is it correct?

I'm asking because I changed the map from the 3bar Link to the OEM one.

@Adamw after a while the lambda started to work. Not sure if it could affect but the car was parked for several months. 

After the engine warmup it looks like that the wideband was working properly. 

The last log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyvn97d0x3ofuov/Log 2020-02-27 7%3B40%3B25 pm.llg?dl=0

23 minutes ago, tiago said:

Looking at the last log I noticed that the MAP is reading ~5psi at idle. Is it correct?

Yes that sounds about right.  The most relevant test is with the engine off check that MAP reads the same as BAP.

26 minutes ago, tiago said:

after a while the lambda started to work. Not sure if it could affect but the car was parked for several months. 

After the engine warmup it looks like that the wideband was working properly. 

Im not convinced.  In your latest log the lambda seems to drift higher and higher as time goes on but the inj pulsewidth is quite stable.  Im not sure if I would trust it personally but if you do then it looks like your fuel table needs a bit of work as the lambda is a long way off target.

6 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Im not convinced.  In your latest log the lambda seems to drift higher and higher as time goes on but the inj pulsewidth is quite stable.  Im not sure if I would trust it personally but if you do then it looks like your fuel table needs a bit of work as the lambda is a long way off target.

I'm using the V7 base map.
For sure my fuel table needs work.

Will try to drive to the shop and have an experienced tuner take a look on that.

Thanks for the help!

You are not running any Lambda fuel correction.

Your Lambda correction is off due to TP lockout. 

Change it to 10% and it should start working. Keep in mind it will turn off at 11% so use your discretion to the value. 

Delta lockout to 5% 

Your CLL gain table is empty too.  Lambda rate is 1 so corrections will be slow. 

2020-02-28 12_48_10-PCLink Engine Management - C__Users_Remski_Desktop_Downloads_1600526880_Subaru99.png