Trig2 or DI1 or DI2

unex

Hello,

i have custom trigger wheel on f20c and I want to see both cam angles in logs. How should I wire it properly? Should I wire one cam to Trig2 and other cam to DI1, or should I wire both cams to DI1 and DI2? Will I be able to setup it in software? Its 24-1 and 1 tooth on each cam. Thunder ECU. Thanks.

You are right, they are not variable. But having cams angle in the log would really make it easier to tune sprockets on the dyno. Also it would be early warning when chain is worn out and its length is changed. But if ECU knows piston TDC position, why it cant say cam position even with one tooth? I dont get it.

The reason is typically only users with VVT want to know cam position, a single tooth on the cam doesnot give regular enough updates on cam position for acceptable VVT control so the user defined VVT mode needs a minimum of two teeth to work.  Even two teeth is borderline and you need to slow the cam control down a lot.

I did just think of one way you could display or log cam position - however you will only be able to display one cam at a time.  Assuming the inlet cam is connected to trigger 2, then set trigger 2 VVT cam type to "LH inlet".  Connect the ex cam to any DI 1-4, set it to LH ex.  Then go to VVT set up, set it to user defined mode, then set "cam angle test" to whichever cam you want to look at, set test pulse count to 1.  You can then view/log the parameter "Cam Angle #1".  

HpZ9Rqs.png

Thank you very much. This is what i was thinking about.

One more question. There is no way to wire both cams to DI 1-4 to monitor both angles? For example if i choose in VVT setup bmw dual vanos it wont sync, because i suspect cam tooth number is hardcoded in ecu?

16 hours ago, unex said:

One more question. There is no way to wire both cams to DI 1-4 to monitor both angles? For example if i choose in VVT setup bmw dual vanos it wont sync, because i suspect cam tooth number is hardcoded in ecu?

Yeah, not possible.  All the pre-configured VVT modes need to see the correct tooth count and pattern on the cams.  The User defined mode needs a minimum of two teeth.  The work around above is really the only option I can come up with.  They can still both be wired, you just need to change the cam angle test mode setting to see the 2nd cam.