G4+ Thunder for Mustang GT350

ElDominio

Hey guys!

Norman from Puerto Rico here! I run a small tuning/ECU and stuff company here in PR, and I recently bought a G4+ Thunder for my Shelby GT350, and I have started decoding the CANBUS to be able to use it in a plug and play matter.

I write here to see if there is any tips or help anyone can offer when it comes to implementing the CAN messages in the ECU. I have seen that there is support for custom frames, but would like to know if there is any way you could assist me with this project. Attached is a video showing some of the progress I have made, and a few of the logs I've captured of the factory ECU. I'm still waiting on arrival of my unit so my wiring guy can make the harness, but I'm pretty pumped! 

I also bought one for my EvoX (an Extreme, not a Thunder) and plan on doing the same. Hope this works!

Thanks to everyone beforehand!

doingnothingengineoff.log editedlog.log keyofftokeyonandlocks.log keyon.log lockunlockcycle.log nostartnoecu.log

The G4+ ECU's are quite flexible with CAN inputs and outputs but you will probably run into some limitations to achieve full OEM integration.  In my experience you can usually get most of the basics working acceptably.  

Some common CAN stuff that may catch you out in a modern car; things like "heart beat" type counters that increment with each message send, odometer ticks that count up after a certain distance is covered, checksums or other equations for immobilizers or other security features.

Be aware you can only send 6 unique CAN ID's port CAN port so this is sometimes a limitation also.  

12 hours ago, ElDominio said:

I wonder, as I find out more and more addresses, could I report them to link and have them added? To eventually have everything supported?

Yes it is worth a try, last time I talked to the main firmware engineer about a similar request he said usually it is not a big job to add a predefined stream if he has good info.  It may also be worth trying the existing BA Falcon CAN stream too as the Australian fords possibly share a similar CAN protocol.