New set up connection issue

Home Built by Jeff

Let me establish first that I am a complete beginner at all of this, but I have spent a long time wiring up my new engine build to the ECU and I have just tried to connect for the first time.

First question is which is the tuning port and which is the serial port (I assume for dashes etc). My Thunder has one with a red rubber ring around it and one with black but the tuning cable fits into both and I can't find any documentation saying which is which?

That said, I have tried connecting from both and have had no luck. I am in the process of trying to reinstall the latest software, but the on I was using was only downloaded a couple of months ago. I have checked that there is power coming to the 14v input on the ECU and the Green Ground Out has Ground (the black Grounds do not). 

F3 gave me the error, and I have gone to the Options/Connection. I tried changing the first option from Manual to Auto and on the main screen it just says 'searching'.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

At least one of the black grounds will definitely need to be grounded, these are the main power grounds.  The green grounds are for sensors only

Yes, the one with the red o-ring is the usb tuning port.  Go to windows device manager and make sure there is a link USB ECU showing up in device manager and there are no exclamation marks or similar warnings/errors showing next to it.  Note it is Anzac day holiday here in NZ but I can give you a hand on teamviewer if you need it later today.  PM me on this forum if you need to.

First, clear the fault codes and see if they come back, these may just be historic codes.  Hit "E" on the keyboard then hit clear fault codes.   If 74 comes back that one suggests a wiring issue for sure as that means the 5V supply isnt at 5V.   To check, hit F12 key to bring up the runtimes screen and go to the "ECU Status" tab, check the reported voltage on the 5V out runtime as shown below, it should be within about +/-0.02V of 5.00.  

The most common cause of a 5V error is a sensor pinned wrong, so the first thing to do is un-plug all the sensors and check if the 5V comes back to 5V.

YXyQ2tK.png

I cleared the initial codes I had and they didn't come back, so at this stage it looks like my sensor wiring is all working ok.

First thing is it is asking me for an unlock code for my ECU. 

Also I put in all of the initial analog inputs, but I can't see where the Knock sensor input is?

I have an e throttle that I set up on this car and the APS all seems to be working and calibrated nicely. The TPS when I move the throttle motor manually (it has a separate linkage that attaches to the ITB's) the value at idle reads at 3.6ish, and is very linear all the way to WOT and it hits 0.0 right at WOT and if I hold it there for a couple of seconds it gives me a code as well. I have tried adjusting the TPS sensor itself, but it seems to be at it's limit. Any suggestions there?

Thanks mate

38 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

Also I put in all of the initial analog inputs, but I can't see where the Knock sensor input is?

The knock pins are dedicated inputs so you dont need to assign them, just turn it on in the knock control settings.  I would suggest you just leave it off for now until it is running.

38 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

I have an e throttle that I set up on this car and the APS all seems to be working and calibrated nicely. The TPS when I move the throttle motor manually (it has a separate linkage that attaches to the ITB's) the value at idle reads at 3.6ish, and is very linear all the way to WOT and it hits 0.0 right at WOT and if I hold it there for a couple of seconds it gives me a code as well. I have tried adjusting the TPS sensor itself, but it seems to be at it's limit. Any suggestions there?

Are these numbers you are talking here raw voltage?  If so I suspect it will be the "error low" setting on the analog input, set it to 0.0V and it should then not go into error condition.  

40 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

First thing is it is asking me for an unlock code for my ECU. 

Send me your ecu serial number, [email protected] and I look into it for you.