Thunder LSU 4.9 Wiring question

Dantical

HI, 

I have some Questions regarding the LSU 4.9 Wiring into my thunder. 

1st - How much current is drawn by the heater ? ( for Fuse and wiresize )

2nd - which wires should be shielded? at least the 5V Signal wire should be shielded, Right ? which one is it ? Have all to be shielded beside the heater? If yes, can all be run within the same Shielded cable ? 4 Wires in a cable where ALL wires are shielded together - not every single one - but all together. … thank you .. 

Bosch LSU 4.9 pin

Wire colour

Notes

Red

Connect to ECU pin APE (Fury & Thunder)

Yellow

Connect to ECU pin IPE (Fury & Thunder)

White

Connect to ECU pin HEATER (Fury & Thunder)

Grey

Connect to ignition switched +12V

Green

Connect to ECU pin MES (Fury & Thunder)

Black

Connect to ECU pin RE (Fury & Thunder)

None of them need to be shielded the signals are current based so not particularly sensitive to noise or voltage drop.  I believe they can pull up to about 6A for a short time under specific conditions but it is rare to ever see more than about 3A on the two heater wires. Typical working current is 1-1.5A.  I typically use 20AWG for the heater and 22AWG for the others for a typical <2M long loom.

I just plugged in a LC-2 (w/ LSU4.9) into a 12v 2amp power brick and it warmed up no problem. (I did this to calibrate and test before wiring it up in the car.) This was in a 25C / 77F room. Obviously when it's colder it'll require more amperage. At least for the LC2, the documentation says it can draw a max of 3 amps. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, Richard Hill said:

Here are some measurements from a single 4.9 Lambda sensor running on a Thunder on the bench.  The maximum the sensor drew was 1.43A  at the end of the heating phase 

image.png.22092c4b749eac4d3654a52227c8543b.png

HTH,

Richard.