Toyota 2GR-FE 1st Start Issues

BikeMurgunder

Hi everyone!

I just got my 2grfe all setup in my MR2 and have been going through the motions trying to get my motor to start. It fires once and then doesnt after the first crank. I have attached a log and my map in the hope you guys might see something I am missing. I have search all over this forum and have found some really good information, but still cannot get it to fire and idle. Some quick details on my setup

Bosch 989cc injectors (same as Link sells, so all settings should be correct).

GM 3 Bar Map Sensor

IAT Temp sensor

Trig1 and Trig 2 show no errors and are syncing properly. 

Timing was checked at 0 degrees and 10 degrees BTDC and seem to be perfect (200 offset at 0).

I have all the external pull-up resistors in place on my cam sensors as per the 2grfe specific sections.

E-throttle calibrated corrected (pedal and throttle)

Please take a look at my log and let me know if there is something I am missing. I am hoping it is just something stupid.

ECU: G4+ Xtreme

Thanks!

MR2 2GRFE No Start 5-24-20.llg G4+ Xtreme 2GR-FE MR2.pclr

I dont see much wrong in your tune.  I would turn the lambda target overlay off but that is just going to make it richer.

Im not convinced the trigger is happy though.  Notice the cam sensor only comes down to about 1.2V, rather than zero.  That is right on the threshold where the ecu considers it "high" so it may upset the sync.  Are you sure it has the right value pull-up resistor on the LH inlet cam?  Is the cam sensor ground connected to ecu sensor ground?

Adam, thanks for the response! I will double check i didn't accidently connect the sensor ground to a group chasis ground. I followed the the link manual for pull-up resistors, so it should be correct, but I'll check it as well. Its not in a bad spot. 

Ok so i had some time to look over the wiring. My sensor ground is connected to the Link sensor ground correctly (shielded gray wire). I also removed the shielding and the resistor is a 1k ohm like it should be. I tried a 2.2k ohm and the voltages went to .35v / 3.85v . I tried cranking, but no start. So i installed a new 1k ohm resistor and got the same voltages. as the picture above. I then tried a 1.5k ohm resistor and got .83v / 4.3v (see new log). Still wont start. At this point, im not sure what to do. Im pretty sure my plugs are destroyed at this point from all the cranking, and im probably going to need to change the oil too :(. 

If you have any ideas, im open to them. I am using a break-out box to connect the link wiring to the stock harness. I may need to wire direct to the sensors (bypass the box), but im not sure its going to matter. Im measuring .01 ohms to ground at the sensor so i dont think its a ground issue. 

I'm going to check to make sure I didn't miss a ground on the motor some where. I may swap cam sensors around as well to see if that helps. 

scope 5-26-20.jpg

2k2 sounds about right for trigger 2 looking at those numbers you're seeing. Have you tried changing your trigger offset by 360deg as you could be sparking at the top of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. From memory I'm using a 2k2 pullup on all of my cams on my 2gr but that is a G4X setup and so has slightly different hardware.

Vaughan

Can you check what offset you are using on your setup? In the meantime I will try 360deg back and try again. Others who have posted on this forum have been in the 200 range. Im going to verify all my grounds are correct and all my coils are firing again. Each time I log, im not getting any trigger errors and everything seems happy. This is a brand new motor so I may have to check compression again to make sure its not something mechanical. 

my offset is -356 but that did change between G4+ and G4X, when comparing my offset on a G4X and a +200deg on a G4+ It looks like there is a difference of ~360deg between them.

The Trigger 2 on my car is connected to the bank 1 inlet cam (rear bank)

Note that this does mean that an offset of 200 should be close for a 2GR when using semi sequential/group Injection and waste spark instead of sequential injection and direct spark